8-Track

KATIE FORSTER: ‘King’s certainly proved that it does have talent, and no one was buzzed out for being rubbish’

8-Track Bayu Pangestu King's College Kiss and Tell

King’s College, 26th January. Free.

[rating: 3/5]

8 Track is the slightly cooler name for what is essentially ‘King’s Got Talent’. Like most college events the night started slowly, with the sprinkling of people in the bar more interested in the table football than the first acts. But the arrival of the fashionably late crowd and the downing of leftover Burns’ night whiskey improved the atmosphere as people started to enjoy the music.

First up was Josh Emden, and supportive friends listened appreciatively to the restrained bedroom-style guitar strumming, with inoffensive Coldplay covers and an entertaining rendition of Tainted Love.  Ben Goble took to the keyboard with a little more confidence. His song choices were faintly reminiscent of my Dad’s car mix tapes, but with his strong voice and warbled high notes he pulled off classics such as Sweet Caroline, and his take on Elton John was more convincing than Ellie Goulding’s recent mincing of Your Song. As the bar started to get busier we were treated to some pleasant background music from Jake Harris. Covers of Arcade Fire and Bright Eyes earned him cool points, but his set was not varied enough to sustain the audience’s attention.

The new girl band on the Cambridge scene, Kiss and Tell, hushed the chattering crowds with a harmonious a capella introduction, and wowed them with their poptastic medleys including Avril Lavigne’s Girlfriend and Hey Micky. Accompanied with retro hand dancing, the girls held their tunes well, but at times their overly enthusiastic band drowned them out. Kiss and Tell may not be technically perfect yet, but with time to practise before the May Ball season arrives they are definitely the one to watch.

If 8-Track was a talent contest, Bayu Pangestu would surely have been crowned the winner. His slow, synth versions of Cindies classics made lyrics such as ‘Oh how she rocks/in keds and tube socks’ from Teenage Dirtbag seem almost romantic. The cinch came when he brought out that ultimate indie crowd-pleaser, the loop pedal, for a multilayered version of Use Somebody, resulting in the biggest cheer of the night.

A cover version of a different kind came courtesy of a very drunk and very Scottish Rory Boyd, who delivered a roaring Scot’s rendition of Ode to a Haggis in celebration of Burns’ night.

The final act of the night was Rachel and Sian, who filled the bar with their chilled sounds.  As they boogied down to Maroon 5 and Jason Mraz, it was clear that the crowds did not mind the abundance of soft pop that dominated their set.

8-Track was both enjoyable and relaxing, but it is true that this particular evening became a little repetitive and it would have been nice to hear more original music amongst the covers. King’s certainly proved that it does have talent though, and at least no one was buzzed out for being rubbish.