Fire Extinguisher Fiend Is From ARU

The student who threw a fire extinguisher from the roof of Tory HQ during Tuesday’s protests is an Anglia Ruskin undergrad, it has been revealed.

anglia ruskin aru Cameron clegg demonstration demos milbank protest student protest tuition fees violence

The student who threw a fire extinguisher from the roof of Tory HQ at Millbank during Tuesday’s protests is an Anglia Ruskin undergrad, it has been revealed.

The 23-year-old man, originally from Reading, was held on a charge of violent disorder after police trawled through hours of CCTV.

Footage shows him swinging the extinguisher around before throwing it at the crowd below.

The Police Federation has said it is pushing for a charge of attempted murder, as the missile missed two officers by mere inches.

The act was part of demos involving 50,000 students against the plans to triple tuition fees.

httpvh://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAGNJMQD1rA

The moment when the fire extinguisher is dropped.

Although 100 profs signed a letter calling the violence “magnificent”, students disapprove. After the extinguisher was thrown, students started screaming, jeering and booing, with a chant of “Stop throwing shit.”

Second year Shay, from John’s, said, “I support the demonstrations, but violence is just not the right way to go about it.”

Azeem, an ARU finalist, called the act an “embarrassment.”

Matt East, president of Anglia Ruskin University Students Union in Cambridge yesterday confirmed one of their students had been arrested following the student protests.

He said: ”We, Anglia Ruskin Students’ Union, organised for a group of 200 students to attend the NUS national demonstration in London.

”During the demonstration Anglia Ruskin students acted respectfully and protested peacefully.

”However, on Thursday 11th November we learnt that an incident had occurred allegedly involving an Anglia Ruskin student.

“Anglia Ruskin Students’ Union does not condone any act of violence nor supports the action that took place between the hours of 3pm and 5pm on Wednesday 10th November at 30 Millbank, London.”

Meanwhile, senior NUS officials have written to staff at Millbank expressing “deep regret“.

The email, signed by NUS president Aaron Porter and NUS chief executive Matt Hyde said: “We emphatically condemn these violent actions.”