Review: La Roux

JENNA CORDEROY: ‘Definite talent there, and I hold high hopes for Elly Jackson: she won’t be fading into the mist of time just yet.’

Bulletproof Elly Jackson Fascination Rolling Stones Under My Thumb

Thursday 29th May, 7.30 at The Corn Exchange. 

Styling my hair in what must have been a very pathetic-looking quiff, and throwing on my sequin waistcoat, it could only mean one thing.  Bumping into Rob Smith Culture Vulture (and at that point the quiff had collapsed into a bird’s nest held together by clumps of hairspray) I excitedly squealed, ‘I’m going to see La Roux!’  Of course I like La Roux and thought the self-entitled album of last year breathed new electronic life into the dull alternative/indie-dominated music scene.  The question, however, is she a passing craze?  Is she here to stay and withstand time?  So I looked to the gig to answer my perplexing questions.

‘La Roux!  La Roux!  La Roux is on fire!’ the audience roared…actually that was just me.  La Roux time.  The set was revealed: an art deco theatre and neon lights with the air of new romanticism.  Squeaky girls with peroxide cropped hair with Woody Allen glasses wearing flowery prints almost on the point of passing out as they called for La Roux.  Then out comes Elly in a fur coat, kicking the night off with Tigerlily followed by the rest of the successful album.  It was clear she was loving it and it was rubbing off onto the crowds.  Elly has often been termed a bit blasé on stage but definitely not tonight – the crowd loved her.  

The only criticism I could make is that we weren’t treated to any new stuff La Roux’s been working on.  I wanted the gig to really confirm that La Roux’s here to stay and won’t be replaced by, oh say, Ellie Golding, who is probably the most hyped and most boring this year has so far offered.  We were treated to a bonus track, Elly going solo with a guitar, but the audience was a bit dead.  It did show La Roux can be something more than poptastic, but it just seemed incongruous with the electronic/synth-pop set.  

The highlight of the evening for me must have been La Roux’s cover of The Rolling Stones ‘Under My Thumb’, rejuvenating the song with that electronic twist.  Definite talent there, and I hold high hopes for Elly Jackson: she won’t be fading into the mist of time just yet.

Leaving ‘Bulletproof’ and ‘Fascination’ till last, La Roux had the crowds begging for more.  I am sure, like me, they will be back next time she plays.