Trinity Turfs Out Tutors

Undergraduates from across the University have been forced into exile by new supervision guidelines set by Trinity College.

supervisions Trinity

Undergraduates from across the University have been forced into EXILE by new supervision guidelines set by Trinity College.

The new rules have forbidden supervisors based at the college from booking dedicated supervision rooms for meetings with non-Trinity students.

Fellows with private rooms in College will not be affected by the rule change, enacted in the last weeks of Lent term.

However PHD students and even Post-docs will have to find alternative supervision spots for their students from Cambridge’s other 30 colleges. 

An update on the College website informs supervisors: 'We now operate an online room booking system. The rooms are only available to be booked if some or all of the supervisees are members of Trinity College.'

Trinity, the University’s wealthiest college, is far from short of resources. It has over £620 million of fixed assets and even purchased the O2 Arena in London last year for £24 million.

The new guidelines have been seen by some as an attempt by Trinity to cling on to its Tompkins top-spot.

Trinity had not topped Tompkins for a decade before trouncing the table last year, with massive 7% more firsts than its closest rival, Emmanuel.

It is unknown how many supervisees are likely to be hit by the ban.

A second year PPS student told The Tab, ‘I had a supervision rescheduled on the day because of the rule change. It got moved to Caffe Nero though which I quite enjoyed. I was definitely more alert after a cappuccino.’