Review: Delphic

CHRIS BANNON: ‘You needn’t be an Oracle to predict that these lads will be hugely successful by the end of the year.’

NME stage The Junction Week 9

Tuesday 16th March. 

For those enduring a Week 9, the Junction played host to what was by far and away my favourite gig of the term.

The Mancunian band released their debut ‘Acolyte’ in January this year, an album eagerly anticipated following their tour and stunning performance on the NME stage at Reading last year.  It proved a huge breakthrough for them, reaching the top ten of the album chart, receiving critical acclaim, and being aired on primetime Radio One.  Their unique sound proves that indie rock and electronic dance can be combined, creating tracks that are as danceable as they are intellectually engaging 

This combination of genres was reflected in the crowd – young ravers hit the front rows, whilst the older and mellower stood further back.  There also appeared to be a somewhat intellectual element, perhaps to be expected in light of the band’s cerebral leanings. ‘Acolyte’ – someone who performs religious ceremonial duties – features a single entitled ‘Halycon’ – the name of a mythical Greek bird. Delphic itself refers to an ancient Greek city, the home of the famous Oracle.  No wonder there were so many arts student in attendance.

Delphic kicked off with album opener ‘Clarion Call’, as both the music and the fantastic white light show enraptured the audience.  This flowed seamlessly into lead single ‘Doubt’, before the tune ‘Red Lights’ saw their visual backing turn – you guessed it –  bright red.  It was not until after fourth track, ‘Submission’, that they introduced themselves to the crowd.  This wasn’t a result of nerves; far from it. Sustaining such a long stint without introduction demonstrated supreme confidence in their musical ability.

‘Halycon’ and ‘This Momentary’ followed, with the hypnotic lights flashing green and purple.  The latter proved to be a sensational highlight, with its closing remix echoing the line “Let’s do something real.”  This led into ‘Counterpoint’, another triumph with its powerful introduction and chorus.  The best was, however, saved ‘til last, as the group returned to the stage to perform ‘Acolyte’ as their encore.  The ten minute long track calmly drew everyone in, before climaxing with a huge melody and almost choral chorus – the crowd went wild.  The lights turned back to white, mirroring the celestial tone of the music.

Few new bands today have the talent of this foursome.  The Junction set was flawless, powerful and confident.  You needn’t be an Oracle to predict that these lads will be hugely successful by the end of the year.