Spew Year’s Heave

After a term of student excess, Cambridge locals reclaimed the city centre on New Year’s Eve, with a shocking display of drinking.

Alasdair Pal army binge drinking Cambridge cambridge tab Clare Drinking Drinking Societies

After a term of student excess, Cambridge locals reclaimed the city centre on New Year’s Eve, with a shocking display of drinking.

The night was so messy an emergency medical tent was set up outside Cindies, run by the Army.

Soldiers from the Territorial Army’s local 254 Medical Regiment, were called in to help vomiting revellers, and treat women suffering from hypothermia.

Captain Ann-Marie Harmer said dozens of young girls had suffered hypothermia as they stood waiting for taxis for up to an hour in freezing conditions, which reached -3C.

She said: “We had a very busy night and when many of the pubs kicked out it was just a case of mopping up the walking wounded.”

“We treated people who had been fighting and stumbled into the street drunk.”

Among the casualties was a 19-year-old Cambridge student, believed to be at Clare, who was taken to the tent after drinking three bottles of wine and realising she could not walk.

As she was laid down on an Army stretcher, she admitted to “leaving a trail of vomit outside a pub."

A uni spokesman recently lashed out at such behaviour, calling it "deplorable".

Major Marion Wilson defended the use of the Army, which had been attacked by some residents as a waste of money.

"Sometimes it can look like a war zone", she said.

“We’ve had lots of drunks who cannot walk home or who are being sick and if we weren’t here to deal with them, I don’t know how some of them would get home.”

“We’ve also seen people who have been fighting and are covered in blood.”

“They’ve been brought in and we’ve fixed them up and sent them home, so they were not clogging up accident and emergency wards, all because they got into a drunken fight.”