Netballers Demolish Worcester 108 – 9

Blues storm into triple figures against feeble Worcester

blues netball cambridge netball jess mcgeorge mealy garnett

Cambridge 108 – 9 Worcester

The Blues humiliated Worcester 4ths in their 2nd round cup match, cruising into triple figures on the way to a crushing victory.

The Blues were sensational. To score 108 goals in 60 minutes is a phenomenal achievement; much of the credit is due to the faultless finishing of Jess McGeorge, Betty Wheater and Katie Marshall.

On the other hand Worcester were, to be polite, shit. (This was probably to be expected given that the majority of their warm up was dedicated to having a fag behind the team bus.) They were torn apart by Cambridge’s slick passing and excellent movement off the ball; unable to compete with the Blues’ superior pace, power and ball-skills.

Cambridge stamped their authority on the game right from the first whistle. Within seconds they were ahead as McGeorge opened her account for the afternoon with a fine finish. 

mcgeorge

And the goals just kept on coming. By the end of the first quarter the score was already an emphatic 28-1 in the Blues’ favour.

Whenever Worcester did manage to forge any forward momentum they were quickly stopped in their tracks by the Blues’ defence. On more than one occasion Antonia Akota leapt like a salmon to block any attempts on goal, whilst Vicky Colgate did a good job brushing up in centre court.

The only player to make a big impression for the visitors was their goal attack, who used her chunky frame to outmuscle her opponents on several occasions. Yet despite her best efforts to make a contest of the game the Blues went into half-time with a 54-4 lead.

Cambridge continued to enjoy the lion’s share of possession for the duration of the match. They used the long-ball to devastating effect, getting the ball into the hands of their shooters for goal after goal.

As the Blues’ Katie Marshall brought up the century midway through the final quarter, the dejected Worcester Goal Defence remarked to a team-mate: “I’ll stop sleeping with your dad if we get to ten!”

Luckily for said dad, as the final whistle blew the score stood at 108-9.

In an exclusive post-match interview with The Tab, Wing Defence Mealy Garnett had this to say: “I’m so proud of the girls. I can’t wait to celebrate our victory in Cindies tonight. After a few VKs who knows what will happen!”