Mandelson’s Tuition Fee Trouble

A review on tuition fees could result in a dramatic rise in student costs.

Chigbo CUSU mandelson tuition fees

Students could face steep hikes in uni fees following an upcoming review.

A review into university tuition fees that was launched on Monday, could result in students up and down the country coughing up nearly double for their studies.

The review, unveiled by Business Secretary Lord Peter Mandelson, is widely expected to result in the cap currently on tuition fees being lifted. This means that students could soon be paying up to £7000 annually in tuition fees alone.

Mandelson explained that members of the independent fee-review commission will look at the “balance of contributions to universities by taxpayers, students, graduates and employers”. It will also take into account the wider aim of social mobility.

However, the news that the commission will be headed up by University Vice-Chancellors and business leaders will sit uncomfortably with students, as these two groups have been particularly vocal in their support for raising fees. 

A survey of vice-chancellors in March of this year revealed that, on average, they would like to see the ceiling on student fees rise to £6,500.

Andy McGowan, CUSU targets school officer, expressed his alarm at the prospect of such dramatic fee increases, noting, “I am very concerned about the impact that higher fees may have on widening participation, in terms of adding to a fear of debt and a market where students choose universities based on how much they cost”.

To add insult to injury, the commission will not report until after the election, prompting accusations from the National Union of Students that Labour and Conservative MPs are attempting to “duck difficult questions on student fees and finance.”

The NUS, of which CUSU President Tom Chigbo is a signatory, have promised to mobilise the 2 million student votes up for grabs in the United Kingdom. Wes Streeting, current NUS President, has promised to send all students a list of the MPs who refuse to sign the pledge against higher tuition fees in the New Year, ahead of the election. 

It looks like tuition fees might prove costly issues for MPs as well as students…