A Christmas Chalmer

Thousands turned out to watch the switch on of the Cambridge Christmas lights yesterday evening.

camb Cambridge lights Market Square

Market Square was packed with kids after a day of festivities in and around the city.

There to switch on the lights was hearthrob Craig Chalmers, runner up in the BBC's talent show "Any Dream Will Do".

Chalmers graced the city with a rendition the song, taken from the hit musical Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat.

He will be performing in the same show at the Corn Exchange this Christmas.

The festive tone was completed by a children's choir, made up of youngsters from local schools.

They provided backing vocals for Chalmers during his Cambridge debut: a slot in the hour-long set of entertainment sponsored by Heart 103 radio.

Families especially enjoyed the entertainment provided regardless of the bitter weather, yet there appeared to be a lack of students mingling within the crowd.

"I've seen better lights in B & Q!", said one icy mathematician.

Others however, were more upbeat.

"The crowd was impressive considering we are a month and a bit away from Christmas", said Kay Douglas, a mother of two.

"Especially as we havn't even put up our own decorations yet!".

Other festive favourites in Cambridge include well-known ankle-breaker Cambridge On Ice, on Parker's Piece.