Basket Case

Police who raided a cannabis factory were stunned to find a crop of powerful skunk plants growing in HANGING BASKETS, it emerged yesterday.

Officers made their discovery after a raid in a cottage in Girton where more than 100 cannabis plants with a street value of £112,000 were seized.

Over 70 makeshift baskets were suspended from ceilings in various rooms and in a secret bolthole constructed from wood and plastic.

Cambridgeshire police drug expert PC Gavin Guy said: ”It was very pretty and certainly different. I have been doing this job for a while now and have never seen anything like it.

”The baskets were made from a bin liner which had holes cut in them for the plants to grow from the sides.

”The person has obviously been experimenting with ways to grow cannabis in small spaces.”

The tip-off came from a member of the public and a 28-year-old man from the Cambridge area has now been arrested and taken to Parkside police station.