Challengers to the Red Boys’ Monopoly

Next season looks to be exciting. Everyone’s hoping for an end to St. John’s’ monopoly.

John’s Rugby Boys will look to continue their dominance of college rugby next season when the league kicks off again in Lent term. The Red Boys have been untouchable for this past season, winning every single one of their matches and grabbing the double of the league title and cuppers for the fourth season in a row.

John’s have been formidable this year, widening the already yawning gap between them and the other colleges. They dismissed their closest rivals for the league, Jesus, with consummate ease but their most impressive result may well have been the Cuppers final victory over Teddies, who, despite their large contingent of university players, were unable to stop the reds romping to victory.

But, all good things come to an end though and everyone who shows an interest in college rugby is waiting for the day when the Red Boys will be beaten. Although they have shown very few chinks in their armour this year things can change very rapidly in college sport.

Obviously writing about next season is going to be speculative because much depends on the intake of freshers, but several things are fairly certain: firstly, John’s will continue to have a strong team. But you can expect Jesus to push them all the way. Equally, Downing should have an experienced team at the start of next season as they are losing few players .

On the other hand, Trinity may well struggle next year as many of their players are leaving, as will the new boys St Cats, who are joining the top flight. Trinity did surprisingly well coming up at the start of last season, but their stay in the top division may well be a short one, unless they find a large number of freshers to compensate for their exodus of third years. Coming up with St Cats are Girton, who will be looking for revenge on Downing after being relegated by a humiliating 40-0 drubbing at the end of last season.

Next season looks to be an exciting one, with everyone hoping for an end to the Red Boys monopoly on the league and cuppers. Look forward to old rivalries being resumed, both on and off the pitch, as everyone’s eyes turn towards next year.