Gonville and Sneeze

A Caius student has been placed under quarantine after contracting swine flu…

Alasdair Pal

A Caius student has tested positive for the deadly H1N1 virus – otherwise known as swine flu.

The male undergrad was booted out of his room, and placed in QUARANTINE.

A spokesman for the college said: “the student is now undergoing medical supervision.”

The Tab understands that the diagnosis and treatment are taking place at Darwin college. His condition is said to have improved.

The news comes after boffins at the World Health Organisation said the pandemic is the worst for over forty years. There are now 909 confirmed UK cases, with thousands more world-wide.

Panic has spread across Cambridge, with students and college officials alike heading for cover.

In an email sent to Homerton students, Sandy Chambers, the college nurse, advised those with coughs, sore throats, runny noses and sneezing to “stay in their rooms”, a practice repeated in many other colleges and departments.

Many students have sought medical advice after experiencing symptoms similar to those of swine flu.

This uncertainty is made worse by the fact that it is May Week, a time usually associated with sore throats, tiredness and social interaction.

One student, Seb Dunnett, told The Tab: “It’s terrifying.

“I was only there the other day, and I shudder to think that it could have been me.

“I’ll be a lot more careful now – I’ve already stocked up on hand wash.”

Though Caius have assured students that there is “no cause for concern,” most students are concerned, especially after the outbreak of the highly contagious Norovirus last winter.