The Good Pub Guide

JONATHAN WOOLLEY visits 3 Cambridge pubs off the beaten track.

There are few greater pleasures in life than a really superb pub. Sitting with a good pint, a packet of something unhealthily salted and chatting with friends is one of the better ways of spending a rainy afternoon, especially if there’s a quiz on (even better if you win back the cost of a round, although this rarely happens for me. It appears I need to watch Fame Academy more often…) With a mind to sorting the Wheatsheaf from the proverbial chaff (and so saving you from sweat-reeking hellholes serving piss, chain pubs with about as much character as Victoria Beckham or dives where you risk a stabbing), I set out with a couple of my mates one day to give you an honest picture of some of the lesser known drinking spots in Cambridge that are worth visiting. So next time you fancy something alcoholic, dark and cool (not chilled, that would be horrible); break out of your college bar and give these bars a try.

The Free Press, Prospect Row:

If you like no-nonsense drinking of real ale in a traditional setting, then the Free Press is practically Shangri-La. A fantastic little pub about a minute away from Parker’s Piece (down a rather dodgy alleyway), the Free Press is away from the bustle of town yet still within an easy walk of most colleges. It can get a bit crowded in the evenings though, so make sure you don’t turn up too late. It’s the sort of pub that my dad waxes lyrical about, and I have to agree with him. Truly deserving its inclusion in the Good Beer Guide, it offers a range of ales and home cooked food in an atmosphere unsullied by garish lighting or bleeping games machines. To put the cherry on top, it is (almost) spitting distance from two other (but not quite as fantastic) pubs on the same road. A must for any traditional pub crawl.

Fact File:
• Cheapest Pint: Greene King XX Mild – £2.60.
• Best Pint: Greene King XX Mild – £2.60.
• Crisps: Pipers – my west-country companion informs me that their sea salt and Somerset apple vinegar flavour is the dogs bollocks.
• Extras: Plenty of board games, including the ever popular Cambridge edition of Monopoly. Plus it sells the largest packets of pork scratchings in Cambridge!
Rating: 10/10

The Zebra, Maids Causeway:

The Zebra deserves a mention for a number of reasons. First of all, it’s got a pretty awesome theme going on (the clue’s in the name). It’s also got a lot to offer you if you’re into music, particularly rock and metal; there’s lots of information on the notice boards about gigs and events around Cambridge (anything from Rocksoc stuff to psychobilly or ska nights), and the tunes they play in the bar are pretty good too. Thirdly, and most importantly, this Zebra is an endangered species. Greene King, the owners, have decided that it “doesn’t fit with their business model” to sublet pubs, and so they are turfing out the landlord of the Zebra and selling the property to developers. Although the beer isn’t anything to write home about and the food is pretty standard (with a “Mediterranean flair”), the Zebra has a nice atmosphere and is a great place to go if you like a bit of music or a quiz or two to go along with your pint. It definitely does not deserve to be thrown into the greedy maw of some heartless developers who will just turn it into “luxury flats” nobody will buy.
So if you’re in the mood for some metal and want to save a pub with real character, then head on over to Maids Causeway, buy a pint or two of IPA and sign the petition started by the owners. It’s about time student activism started concerning itself with one of our primary pastimes – drinking.

The Zebra

Fact File:
• Cheapest Pint: Fosters/Ruddles/IPA – £2.90.
• Best Pint: Abbot Ale – £3.20.
• Favourite Animal: Zebras.
• Extras: Good music – both in the pub and advertised, regular quizzes and of course the righteousness that comes with supporting the little-guy
Rating: 7/10.

The Red Bull, Barton Road

Many fond memories of my second year hail back to The Red Bull, one of the nearest pubs to where I was living. It’s a nice old building, with a stylish interior. Admittedly this amounts to something of a blasphemy in my opinion (as proper pub should really be just shy of spit and sawdust; otherwise, it’s a restaurant) although I have to say that when a “gastro-pub” is done well, it has its benefits, especially food-wise. The Red Bull is a case in point, selling delicious handmade, stone-baked pizzas, which are two for one on Mondays from 6pm (hence the fond memories – I’d recommend the Red Bull Special). Even if you aren’t looking for a meal, The Red Bull is a pretty nice place to go for a pint – especially due to the wide variety of beers on offer. A word of warning though; they do rotate what they sell, so my advice has a limited shelf-life. And if you like a more polished décor in your watering hole; all the better.

Fact File:
• Cheapest Pint: Harvey’s Express – £2.95.
• Best Pint: Timothy Taylor, Landlord – £2.95.
• Celebrity Drinker: Rory McGrath. I’ve seen him in here a bunch of times. But don’t bother him – he hates that.
• Extras: Bargains on delicious food. Pizzas are half-price on Mondays and Students get a 20% discount with a valid ID on Wednesdays. Fish and Chips are served on a Friday and the Sunday Roast is pretty tasty too.
Rating: 8/10.