Image may contain: Portrait, Photography, Photo, Furniture, Costume, People, Jeans, Denim, Dress, Indoors, Shorts, Smile, Face, Pants, Human, Person, Girl, Child, Blonde, Kid, Woman, Female, Teen, Apparel, Clothing

Applications to be on the editorial team of The Tab Brookes are now open!

Join the the UK’s biggest student news publication

The Tab Brookes is now recruiting a new editorial team for the academic year 2022/23.

The positions available are: Editor-in-Chief, News Editor, Features Editor and Social Media Editor.

Applications from students from all areas of study are welcome, and you’ll have assistance from the current editorial team and training from The Tab HQ to get you started. It’s a very impressive thing to have on your CV and really good experience if you’re looking to get into the world of media.

Any applications for the position will be considered, even if you don’t have any experience with The Tab Brookes or writing elsewhere. Some experience in writing or journalism is encouraged, however this is not essential! It also doesn’t matter what year you are in, as long as you are a student at Oxford Brookes.

Even if you have never had any experience in writing or journalism, this opportunity could be great for you in trying something new and fun!

Interested? Read below to find out what the roles require, and how to apply:

Editor-in-Chief

As the Editor-in-Chief, you will be in charge of The Tab Brookes and will oversee a team of writers. You will help them to write their articles and give them ideas, as well as editing their articles to be posted on our website.

You will also recruit new writers and host recruitment meetings, and regularly host meetings throughout the academic year to discuss article ideas.

You will get to write your own articles and help to break the biggest stories on campus. But, don’t worry, you will be directly connected to The Tab HQ, who will be on-hand to help in training you for the position, and help you in editing articles when needed.

This role is very rewarding as it will allow you to write serious news stories and funny features, but it will also give you the chance to run your own team and edit the articles of others. If you’re thinking of getting into a career in writing, journalism or media, this role would be perfect to kickstart your career, and could well lead to other fantastic opportunities in the industry.

Features Editor

This position requires you to publish fun feature pieces. This may include an explanation of the types of Brookes boys you’ll find on Tinder, doing fun best dressed on campus articles, or an opinion piece talking about the ugliset buildings on campus.

For this role, you must have an understanding of what is funny, interesting and relevant to the specific student audience at Brookes.

The role allows you to be witty, opinionated and creative in your writing.

You will also support the Editor-in-Chief in editing articles and writing, coming up with pitches and article commissions and supporting writers. The roles of section editors are not black and white and you may also be expected to write and edit News articles, not just Features.

News Editor

This role requires you to stay on top of what’s happening on campus, and get news out quickly.

The position asks that you feel comfortable delivering news sensitively. You must have a keen eye for new stories, and understand what is relevant to Brookes students.

You will receive individual training from the HQ team on how to write the best news stories.

You will also support the Editor-in-Chief in editing articles and writing, coming up with pitches and article commissions and supporting writers. The roles of section editors are not black and white and you may also be expected to write and edit Features articles, not just News.

Social Media Editor

The Tab Brookes’ social media pages on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and help to run our funny and successful “Library Crush” on Instagram stories.

For this role you’ll need an eye for memes and aesthetics. You’ll be responsible for uploading onto various social media platforms such as Instagram, TikTok and Facebook.

This will include sharing articles, creating Insta stories, putting out polls, finding and creating memes, uploading footage of events and making sure our student audience is always engaged and interacting with our channels.

Excitingly, this year The Tab Brookes will be launching its brand new TikTok – and you have the opportunity to be at the forefront of this.

This is a great position for those who want to see real audience growth, and gain experience in running social media channels (which looks great on your CV!).

How to apply:

If you think you’ve got what it takes and want to apply for any of the advertised roles, please fill out this Google form below or click here.

The application deadline is Friday 13th May at 11.59pm.

DM The Brookes Tab’s Instagram if you have any questions. Good luck!