Police appeal for witnesses to ‘fatal road traffic collision’ on St. Clement’s roundabout

A man has been arrested on suspicion of causing death by careless driving while over the prescribed limit of a drug

Thames Valley Police are asking people who witnessed the “fatal road traffic collision” on The Plain junction on St. Clement’s roundabout to come forward.

The collision happened at around 2.35pm yesterday, and police say that the fatal collision involved a cyclist and a DAF tipper lorry.

According to Thames Valley Police, the cyclist was a woman in her thirties, who suffered serious injuries in the collision, and later died at the scene.

A 39-year-old man from Oxford was arrested “on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving, causing death by careless driving while over the prescribed limit of a drug and causing death by driving unlicensed.” As of this morning, the man is still in custody.

The roundabout and the road going into the town centre was closed for several hours yesterday, with buses being cancelled. Pedestrians were also stopped from walking into the town centre, and instead were told to go through Magdalen College School to get into the city centre.

Detective Constable Lyndsey Blackaby, from the Serious Collision Investigation Unit, said:

“Sadly a woman has died following this collision. We are appealing for anyone who saw what happened to please come forward.

“We’re also asking any motorists who were in the area around this time of the incident to please check any dash-cams in case they may have captured anything that may assist the investigation.

“Anyone with information can make a report by calling 101 or making a report online, quoting reference 43220091981.”