Brookes Blind Dates: Why you should apply

If Tinder isn’t working out, this is for you!

Something we can all agree on is that trying to find someone you actually fancy at Brookes amongst the mullets and Daddy’s moneys is very difficult. If you’re single at Brookes, you’ve definitely waded your way through Tinder, Hinge and Bumble and still not found anyone that you can actually put up with past the one night stand. You don’t even remember the faces or names of the three people you got off with at last week’s Fishies, and to be honest, you don’t want to remember that travesty.

If you can relate to any of the above, you should definitely be applying for Brookes Blind Dates, run by the I’m Just Brookes uni page on Instagram. Inspired by Memecastle Blind Dates at the University of Newcastle, Brookes Blind Dates only requires you to fill out an application form and pay £5 to match you with the potential love of your life. Or, if it doesn’t work out, this will be the best story to tell your mates when you go home for the summer.

Interested? If you’re not convinced, here are some reasons to apply, and our tips for your date to go perfectly.

Why apply?

This experience is probably the easiest way you’re going to find the perfect match. The application form is lengthy, asking you details about your looks, lifestyle and interests, so that you can be matched perfectly with someone else. The application form really leaves no stone unturned, and thinks of qualities that you might not normally realise even matter to you until three dates in.

If dating apps aren’t working for you, maybe you need someone else to find you someone that you fancy and get on really well with. You might think your type is tall hockey boys but this opportunity will broaden your horizons and push you out of your comfort zone, forcing you to take a chance on someone you wouldn’t typically go for.

If the idea of going on a blind date on your own is too daunting, there’s also a section on the application form that allows you to go on a double date with a friend, for £10 instead of £5. Going on a blind date with your mate will make you feel at ease, and could end up being a hilarious story.

The dates for the blind dates are Thursday 24th February and Friday 25th February, so this gives you plenty of time to prepare yourself, and will also help the post-Valentine’s Day blues melt away!

Our top tips

• Fill out the application form as accurately as you can, as this will make it even more certain that you’ll find someone that you like, and that has similar interests to you.
  • Get your friends to help you fill out the form with you. They know you better than you know yourself, and it’ll be a funny thing to do when you’re hungover and you cba to do anything else.
  • Try not to stress out about the date, and treat it as though you’re just going for chilled drinks with a mate, but one you actually think is fit. Basically, be yourself, but don’t give away any of your weird or gross habits!
  • Get to know them as much as you can by asking them questions. We all hate speaking to someone that just talks about themselves and doesn’t show an interest in anything to do with the other person.
  • If you’re going on a double date, make sure the person you’re going with has the same intentions as you. If you want a potential relationship, go with someone that also wants this out of the date!
  • If you get on well with them, make sure you add them on socials or get their number, so then you can arrange a second date!

Applications are still open for dates, and you can find the application form here or on the @imjustbrookes Instagram page.

Want to write stories like this? Join the team, no experience is needed! DM us on the @tabbrookes Instagram page to find out more!