Here are all your favourite small businesses to support in Oxford right now

We asked for your faves and you didn’t disappoint!

Lockdown has had a large impact on everyone’s lives but it has been particularly hard for small businesses. Lockdown back in March last year forced many small food and drink businesses to close until July and businesses have been opening and shutting on and off ever since due to the tiered system. So, now more than ever, is the best time to support small local businesses in Oxford that are open for takeaway and delivery so that their owners can afford to keep their businesses open when they can’t open their cafes and restaurants as normal.

We asked you on our Instagram page about your recommendations for small Oxford businesses to support and you didn’t disappoint.

Happy Friday Kitchen

Happy Friday Kitchen is a vegan restaurant along Cowley Road that is “inspired by the wealth of speciality vegan restaurants found in California”. They sell a selection of vegan fast food, from pizzas to hotdogs to burgers and desserts. They have a merchandise range too available on their website. They are currently open from Friday to Sunday, 5pm-9pm every week for takeaway and on Just Eat and Deliveroo.

You can find them on Facebook here and Instagram here.

New Ground Coffee

New Ground Coffee is a coffee shop in Headington offering a takeaway service. They claim to “push boundaries” and say: “It is thinking differently about what has come before and never settling for the ordinary.” The tagline of their ‘About’ page says “expertly crafted coffee meets social responsibility”, as they employ people who have been in prison to give them a “new beginning”. On their website, they sell their own coffee and merchandise. They are currently open Monday-Friday 8am-3pm and Saturdays and Sundays 9am-4pm.

Philly’s Burger

Philly’s Burger is a burger restaurant on St. Clement’s, founded “in the year 2020 based on the appreciation of a good burger, some crispy fries and a cool milkshake.” They sell a range of beef, chicken and vegan burgers, along with Ferrero Rocher and Lotus Biscuit shakes. You can order online on their website or visit their restaurant on weekdays from 4pm-10pm and weekends 12pm-10pm.

The Missing Bean

The Missing Bean is a coffee roastery on Magdalen Road that was opened in 2014, five years after their first cafe opened on Turl Street in Central Oxford. Here, they “started to roast our own speciality coffee, giving us the freedom to source the coffees that really pique our interest.” The Missing Bean boasts a range of coffees and other beverages, as well as cakes to take away and their own coffee beans and merchandise. You can buy their products online here. Their roastery on Magdalen Road is open for takeaway Monday-Friday 8am-2pm and Saturdays and Sundays 9am-3pm. Their cafe on Turl Street is also open for takeaway Monday-Friday 8am-4pm, Saturdays 9am-5pm and Sundays 10am-4pm.

You can find their Facebook here and their Instagram here.

Pan Pan

Pan Pan is a Pan-Asian street food restaurant located on St. Clements. They sell tapas-style dishes from a range of countries such as Vietnam, Korea and Japan such as pad thai, curry laksa and pho. They are open every day from 12pm-10pm and you can order from them on Just Eat.

Horsebox Coffee Co.

Horsebox Coffee Co. is a takeaway coffee truck located along Parks Road, at the Oxford Museum of Natural History and Pitts River.  It was launched by Emily Stewart in 2015 and sells a range of coffees, offering syrups and dairy alternative milks, and some cakes to take away. It is open 9.30am-4pm every day. You can buy their coffee online here.