Confirmed positive cases at Oxford Brookes have gone up this week

59 cases were confirmed this week

Oxford Brookes emailed students yesterday with their weekly update of confirmed positive coronavirus cases.

In their email, Oxford Brookes confirmed: “In the seven days up to 6 November, we have been notified of 59 confirmed cases at Oxford Brookes. 54 of these cases were students, four were members of staff and one was a contractor.”

They also went on to say: “Of the 59 cases, 53 are attributed to Oxford City, three to other districts within Oxfordshire, and three to outside of Oxfordshire.”

Oxford Brookes acknowledged the rise in cases, saying: “Our data shows that the increase in cases appears to be through transmission in social settings, so it remains vital that we maintain hygiene and social distancing measures and that you continue to follow the new national restrictions that came into force on Thursday 5 November.”

They also reminded students that: “The Government has asked students to remain in their student accommodation – you should not return home to your permanent, home address.”

They also acknowledged the government’s plans to let students go home for Christmas: “The Government has now published guidance on end of term and Christmas arrangements. We are currently reviewing the guidance and will provide an update over the next few days on what this will mean for Oxford Brookes students. We appreciate that you will be keen to make plans and we will come back to you with further detail as soon as we can.”