EXCLUSIVE: Brookes student in Harcourt hill halls tested for coronavirus

Students were only informed when the results came back negative

A Brookes student living in Harcourt hill halls has tested negative for coronavirus, The Brookes Tab can reveal.

This was shared with Harcourt residents through an email sent by the Residence Manager, who informed them that the results came back negative.

A Brookes student claims this is the first time Harcourt residents heard about the student being tested for coronavirus, and that they were not told when the student was initially tested, only when the results were announced as negative.

Despite this, the email telling students about the negative results reads: “You will be aware that someone within your halls of residence has been tested for coronavirus. I am pleased to advise that the result of this test was negative.”

Kyle, a first year student living in Harcourt who received this email, responded saying: “Well I am concerned as there was no communication about someone being tested until today, after the results came back? Me and my flatmates think it’s quite alarming, regardless if the test came back negative. If it wasn’t negative, then this could have been an awful situation for all students and staff.”

The Residence Manager responds: “Please refer to the email, the tests have come back negative so you do not need to be concerned.”

Kyle told The Brookes Tab: “I am annoyed and frustrated. I think not telling students about a potential case of coronavirus here is extremely reckless and unprofessional, but to claim we all knew in today’s email just felt wrong, like a coverup. I think they fucked up and tried to cover their tracks. Also two bottles of hand sanitizer appeared in my flat today which I think the hall office placed here.”

An Oxford Brookes University spokesperson said:

“While the University will not comment about individuals, the welfare of our staff and students is our highest priority.

“We are communicating regularly with our students and staff and sharing the latest guidance from Public Health England and the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, which includes advice for people who have recently travelled to affected areas.

“Our campuses remain open as usual and we will continue to monitor the situation carefully.”

Want to break stories like this? Join the team! DM us via The Tab Brookes on Facebook or @tabbrookes on Insta.

Know something? Send tips to [email protected]