Image may contain: Label, Wall, Sleeve, Text, Shirt, Jeans, Denim, Person, Human, Pants, Apparel, Clothing

Speech by ‘transphobic’ feminist artist cancelled after student complaints

She says that it is part of the war on women

A 'transphobic' feminist has had her speech at Brookes school of arts cancelled this week after student complaints.

Rachel Ara, a London based conceptual and data artist, was set to speak at Brookes until Twitter account @terfsoutofart posted screenshots of Ara interacting with transphobic tweets and urging students to picket and complain.

Soon after, a letter was written by the Brookes LGBTQ+ society stating "Rachel Ara is a trans exclusionary radical feminst (TERF) who frequently shares transphobic discourse on her social media.

"She has openly showed support for the LGB Alliance which is openly transphobic and seeks to isolate trans people within the LGBTQ+ movement."

The letter was sent to pro-vice chancellor Anne-Marie Kindlay who promptly cancelled the event.

Ara, who won the 2016 Aesthetica Art Prize, complained on Twitter yesterday morning, claiming "I guess making art about feminist issues is a bit too challenging for today’s youth #waronwomen". She did not acknowledge the transphobia accusations.

The Brookes Tab tweeted Ara asking for a comment, Ara responded stating: "Hey… I'm not so upset about the talk being cancelled, I can do it outside of the University.

"More infuriated that a seemingly anonymous tweeter can make unfounded accusations and cause such damage and everyone goes along with it! Why are they not being asked questions?"

Although some professors are tweeting their solidarity to Ara, @terfsoutofart is calling for students to keep pressure on the uni to support the decision.