Image may contain: Person, People, Human

Drinking rules to live by to stop morons spiking you and ruining your night

Here are some tips to live by

We know what some of you are thinking, that it'll never happen to you, but it's not as uncommon as you may think.

Apparently 28 per cent of students, out of the two thousand surveyed, have experienced having their drinks being tampered with.

In light of this, here are some tips to help you stay safe while drinking to your heart's content.

Treat the drink like your baby

Image may contain: Glass, Drink, Beverage, Person, People, Human

It doesn't take much effort to keep half an eye on your drink, watch the bartender make or pour this beautiful beautiful thing and guard it until you reach the bottom of the glass. I mean why wouldn't you? On a night out alcohol is life. It must be respected, protected and enjoyed.

Don't drink from strays

Image may contain: Head, Person, People, Human

Ok, we're students, we're broke and we need alcohol like cars need petrol. But accepting drinks from random people and minesweeping cannot only leave you with a hangover but with a feeling that something terrible happened last night. If there's no way to tell for sure that there's nothing "extra" in the drink, leave it.

Safety in numbers

Image may contain: Party, Bottle, Drink, Beverage, Alcohol, Person, People, Human

The good times always roll smoother with more wheels, unless you're on a date or you're the awkward single person. The bottom line is the more people you have in your squad, the more likely someone will have your back if something goes wrong. Having others around can also keep any unwanted attention off of you if you're having trouble thinking straight.

Know your environment

Image may contain: Drink, Beverage, Glass, Person, People, Human

Before heading out do yourself a favour and check if the area you're going to has a bad rep or not, but regardless of if it does or doesn't, keep your wits about you and be aware of your surroundings or any suspicious behaviour. Planning a way to get home always helps too, just incase you need to get yourself or a friend out of there in a hurry. Bus, taxi, designated driver – just have an idea of what you'll do.

TRUST YOUR GUT

Image may contain: Drink, Beverage, Alcohol, Party, Cup, Painting, Art, Person, People, Human

We could not emphasise this more. If something doesn't feel right, if someone's acting suspiciously or your friend seems abnormally out of it, get out of there. Chances are you won't end up trusting your drink either. SO DON'T DRINK IT. Head to a new bar or club until you get some good vibes going, just trust yourself.