Brookes win BUCS to become the best rowing university in the UK

And probably the world

Oxford Brookes Rowing team have become the best university rowing team in the country, after winning BUCS Regatta 2017 at the National Water Sports Centre in Nottingham.

Brookes came away with 41 Gold, 51 Silver and 31 Bronze medals, with a point total of 1,323.

They also won the Victor Ludorum competition for best overall university, beating the other 71 teams taking part.

One of the biggest achievements was winning the Men’s Championship Eight for the fourth consecutive year, with the B crew also winning bronze. This has never been achieved by any crew before.

Brookes women also had their strongest showing ever, winning silver in Championship 8’s and getting a medal in every other category they entered.

Richard Spratley, the Directly of Rowing at Brookes, said: “It was truly a whole team effort which gave the squad a chance to showcase the impressive depth and excellent standard of the Brookes rowing programme.”

James Stanhope, from the men’s 1st eight, said: “It was personally my first champ 8s win, and it was Brookes’ 5th straight champ 8 win, which was a record at BUCS.

“It was the first time in BUCS history that two 8s from the same university have won medals in champ 8s, which shows the standard of the rowers and the strength in depth at Brookes.”

Oxford Brookes University