A step-by-step guide to Halloween makeup

We’ve got you covered

Got the outfit sorted, but stuck for makeup? Look no further. All you will need, is a basic face paint set, a steady hand, and your makeup bag.

Cartoon Pop-Art Girl

Step 1: Apply a very pale foundation or white face paint all over the face, neck, and ears.

Step 2: Using either an angled paint brush and black face paint, or standard black liquid eye liner, trace around the whole face. This can include planes of the nose, ears, collarbones and cheekbones.

Step 3: Fill eyebrows in with black liquid eyeliner. The more defined the arch, and sharper the tail, the more authentic the look will be.

Step 4: Simply line the lid using the same black eyeliner. Fill in the tight-line for extra definition, but not the water line as this makes eyes look smaller.

Step 5: Fill the lips in red, using a small angled lip brush and a pillar box red. Add white to the centre of the lips as a highlight, to make them appear larger.

Step 6: Using red face paint and the end of a paintbrush/makeup brush, create red dots as equal in size as you can. Dot these across a portion of your face.

Skull

Step 2: Add depth to the eye socket by continuously adding warm purple and red eyeshadow shades, before going in with black. Use a medium sized, fluffy blending  brush, then a clean, larger fluffy blending brush.

Step 3: Lightly trace over both sides of the bridge of the nose in a dark grey, using an eyeshadow definer brush. Go back in with the medium fluffy blending brush to blend this out over the brow bone.

Step 4: Draw a black, skeleton-esque new nose over the nose with a black liquid liner.

Step 5: Shade in cheekbones which could cut glass, using an angled shading face brush and grey, black, and purple eyeshadow. Trace from the top of your ear, down to where the corner of your lips start as a guide.

Step 6: Apply black eyeshadow to the middle of the lips, and draw a horizontal line going through the centre of the lips, extending it out. This can be drawn precisely with a black liquid liner. Draw smaller vertical lines coming out, and blend out any harsh edges with a grey eyeshadow and fluffy blending brush.

Werewolf

Step 1: Use a dark brow gel (dip-brow) and angled brow brush to create a bushy brow, using slight flicking motions of the wrist to make small, defined brush strokes. Comb through the brows before setting with any brow gel.

Step 2: Apply a warm foundation all over the face, neck, and ears.

Step 3: Define the crease of the eye with a warm brown, blending out as you go with a fluffy blending brush. Darken with deeper brown shades. Using a patting motion, apply black eyeshadow to the eye lid with a flat, packing brush.

Step 4: Extend the black eyeshadow in towards the inner tear duct, dragging the colour out using a small detailer brush. Apply copious amounts of mascara.

Step 5: With a small detailer brush again, use a medium-brown eyeshadow to create the illusion of hair. Add lines coming from the temple of varying lengths.

Step 6: Warm up the temples and cheekbones with a matte bronzer. Where you’ve just heavily contoured the cheekbone, directly underneath draw a thin sharp line in a slightly deeper brown. Bake under this line, (and under eye triangle, plus the middle of the forehead) using loose setting powder. Sweep off with a large fluffy brush.

Step 7: Add highlight to the brow bone, connecting to the highlight above the cheekbones, and also highlight above the cupid’s bow and the centre of the nose. Apply a matte brown lipstick to finish.

Harley Quinn

Step 1: Apply a light foundation all over the face.

Step 2: Comb brows upwards with a spooly, setting with clear brow gel.

Step 3: Set face with packed setting powder. Apply an eye primer, and set with loose setting powder. Pack white eye shadow onto the eye lid to intensify the red and blue. Tightline and waterline the eyes, before covering one eye with blue eyeshadow/chubby stick or crayon/face paint and the other with red.

Step 4: Smudge out both eyes dramatically, using a very fine detailer brush to make it look like the colour has been dragged up and down. With a black liquid eyeliner, draw a small black heart on the mid-upper cheek.

Step 5: Fill the lips in with a red lipstick.