Meet OxFit, Brookes’ newest and cheapest fitness society

They’re all really fit tbh

OxFit is Brookes’ newest and fastest growing fitness society. Started by second year Brookes student, Josh Stanford, he and his other coaches run circuit type fitness sessions, both indoors and outdoors twice a week. For just £10 for eight weeks, it’s now the cheapest fitness option for students.

We chatted to the Brookes students who started OxFit about why they love fitness and want people to get involved.

Why did you start OxFit?

We decided to set up OxFit because after being at uni for a year it was apparent to me that students have a lot of spare time. I wanted to try and help them fill that time in a more beneficial way than sitting in their rooms watching TV or playing video games. OxFit was set up to try and create an environment in which students of all backgrounds and physical capabilities could come together and create a real fun and positive community by working out together and pushing themselves and each other. Our mission is to simply help as many students as we can to get fitter and healthier.

What is the aim of each session?

The aim of every session is to push everyone, so they can reach their full potential. It’s meant to be a social activity, where everyone can get involved, regardless of their fitness levels. I always look to push people during the session, so when they wake-up the next day, they can really feel it.

Are you surprised by the massive turnout that you got?

We had 446 people sign up at Freshers’ Fair, and we couldn’t believe that! So when we had nearly 150 people turn up to our first session, I don’t think any of us could believe it. I know as a team we are amazed by this- and hope to get at least 300 students by second semester.

Why is it important for students to keep fit? 

When you come to uni, it’s so easy to fall into bad habits- you end up eating incorrectly, ordering takeaways and you can lose track of a healthy lifestyle. OxFit looks to get students active, and helping them to avoid the cycle. Most students join the gym, but never actually use it. Instead, OxFit is a really cheap way in which students can get fit, whilst having fun with their friends at the same time.

You’re offering a prize to whoever makes the biggest transformation this semester. How is the winner judged and what do they get?

We got people’s statistics before the eight week challenge in regards to body fat and muscle mass. The winners are decided by the person who loses the most body fat over the eight weeks, and gains the most muscle mass. We also have a visual transformation prize, for people who would like to do a before and after picture.

How do you guys know each other and how does the coaching team work?

We either have mutual friends in common, or have shown an interest for fitness, so have wanted to get involved. OxFit has been so motivating, and we have had many message from people saying how much they are enjoying it. Being a coach the last few weeks has been hard, but seeing people dripping in sweat and enjoying themselves is so rewarding.