The SU are campaigning for cheaper food at Brookes

We’re sick of paying £4.50 for a jacket potato

This week the SU have been campaigning to lower the food prices at Brookes, after it’s suddenly sunk in that charging students £4 for a small meal just isn’t an option anymore. Currently The Colonnade, Deli, Terrace and even the Union Bar aren’t run by the union.

We’ve all been there. You’re in JHB and you’re starving but you can’t be bothered to go home and make a sandwich, so you’re forced to take out a full overdraft just to buy lunch from the Colonnade. You feel depleted after paying £3 for a egg mayo roll. You’re dissatisfied, not full and you just really wish there was a Greggs on campus.

brb taking out another loan

We chatted to VP of societies and all round nice guy Jared Williams about his latest campaign:

What do you think of the value for money of food at Brookes? 

Food prices are Brookes are excessive. They’re a rip off, they’re simply not value for money. We already live in one of the most expensive towns in the UK and the uni should be helping us out, not charging us more.

How are you going about changing this?

It’s all about evidence. We will present findings of student data to the Union. They’re based on general opinion, if we all think the same thing, our evidence will be stronger.

We stood outside the Colonnade and put a chart up. People had to put a sticker on their feelings about the food at Brookes. The most dots (obviously) said that it’s poor value for money. It was very successful.

What are your plans to continue the campaign?

We will be campaigning not only at Headington, but at Wheatley and Harcourt Hill as well soon to spread the word.