BNOC of the year Vinny VK’s guide to Freshers’ Week

‘I once woke up on a bus to London’

It’s that time of year again when thousands of students hit the streets of Oxford, drinking non stop for a week straight, making questionable decisions and falling out of taxis with a kebab at 4am.

Having already experienced his fair share of freshers and his unmatched experience on hundreds of nights out, we asked Brookes’ reigning BNOC and King of the VK, Vinny ‘VK’ Jirapure,  how to absolutely nail freshers’ week.

What is the number one thing not to miss this freshers?

The biggest thing you don’t want to miss is Fuzz for sure. It’s just the best and nothing can ever top it, it’s the main reason I came back to be honest and I can’t wait to meet Bear there this year. I’m gutted I’m missing the paint party this year because that’s always such a laugh and one of my faves. I’m also keen to go to the festival at the Kassam because that looks like it’s going to be pretty good and a big one. Bridge on Monday is a must and Lethal Bizzle should be pretty sick too, it’s just best not to miss anything.

Where is the best place to go for pres?

It’s really important that you don’t just stay with your flat all freshers’ week otherwise you’ll never make any new friends. Go to as many pres as you can and look for the biggest pres with the most noise because they will be the best.

Before you head out, what happens at your predrinks?

Normally I get all my closest boys and girls together and we meet at around 8pm. We get the party tunes banging and crack out Cards Against Humanity for a quick game while we wait for everyone else to arrive. Then when everyone else is there we just drink as much as possible and play a load of other card games like Ring of Fire and international drinking rules always apply. I always stick to beers at pres, just because I’ve had some bad experiences with vodka.

What are your top tips for pulling while out?

I think it’s really important to just be yourself and be super friendly. Make sure you give them your worst or funniest chat up lines to get their attention and to be memorable and if it doesn’t work at least you should’ve got a laugh out of them. Don’t be creepy though. If you can’t pull in the club, McDonalds is your last chance.

VKs for days

What do you normally drink when you’re out?

Well there’s only one really isn’t there. VK Orange. Every single time. I love them so much my mates even gave me the nickname ‘VK’.

Where is your go to after you’ve left the club?

I don’t hang around the club because that’s creepy, I always go straight to McDonalds unless the queue is too long, then its always got to be Posh Nosh, there’s no other way. If your stomach is up for it theres a secret little pizza place on George Street which is pretty good, but that’s only if you think you can handle a pizza after all the alcohol.

What is your advice for recovering the next day?

Bacon. Just loads of bacon. Bacon sarnies with bacon on top and bacon all day, obviously with a big glass of orange juice to sort you out too.

What’s your craziest story from a night out?

One time I woke up on a coach half way to London. I’d done pretty well for myself too because I’d managed to pack a bag with my laptop and some dirty clothes, so I was half patting myself on the back for that one but I have no idea how it happened when it seemed like a few seconds before I was in the club toilets.

Do you have any final advice for the freshers?

Just don’t be boring. Even if you’ve got a boyfriend or girlfriend still go out and be really friendly. Just talk to as many people as you can because that’s where you’ll make some of your best friends.