Oxford Brookes gets Green Flag awards for the fifth year running

Harcourt Hill and Headington are some of the best green spaces in the UK

Harcourt Hill and Headington have been awarded prestigious Green flag awards for the fifth year in a row. 

Oxford Brookes is just one of nine universities in the country to be given the award by Environmental charity, Keep Britain Tidy. The Green Flag is awarded to spaces in the UK which are beautifully maintained.

The campuses have to be judged by 700 experts, who look at factors such as cleanliness and sustainability. You can see why Wheatley didn’t get one.

Tom Williams, the grounds manager at Brookes, said: “Oxford Brookes is dedicated to ensuring that its green spaces help to make the University a better place to study, work and visit and this latest success acknowledges our effort to continue to achieve that vision.

“A Green Flag flying overhead is a sign to the public that the space boasts the highest possible standards, is beautifully maintained and has excellent facilities.

“I would like to thank every member of the grounds team who has helped maintain our beautiful outdoor spaces – it is their hard work that has led to this recognition.”

Universities such as Exeter, York and Reading also made the cut and achieved green flag awards. Harcourt might have a notorious reputation for being on the U1 bus route, but the gardens and clearly pretty beautiful.

See the full list of Green Flag universities here.