The Luxury Student’s guide to procrastinating at Brookes

Don’t feel guilty for treating yourself

Brookes graduate Aileen Gilani is the face behind The Luxury Student, a blog devoted to student’s who want to live a finer life.

However, she told us this doesn’t always mean living on a higher budget, it’s all about treating yourself.

Here’s her guide for how to procrastinate luxuriously during exam season.

With the right amount of procrastination, you’ll work harder when you actually do settle down to work.

I will teach you how to procrastinate , or as I like to put it ‘take a break’ or ‘treat yourself’. Basically, how to procrastinate and get away with it, or even better, how to get good grades out of it.

Go for a coffee break at The Missing Bean

This is the perfect place to chill and take your mind off of things, also great for people watching. I actually sat by the window and did some work while I was at Brookes.

Go to Mahogany Salon next door for a blow dry or even better a head massage

Ok, so you may think this is too much, but honestly sometimes you just need to get your hair done. Nothing over the top, as let’s face it you’ll be going back to the library, but this is perfect as a de-stress ritual. Especially if you have an Indian Head Massage.

Go for a walk in Blenheim Palace

The beautiful Italians know exactly what they’re talking about when it comes to enjoying their evening, La Passeggiata is the term used for evening walks with your loved ones, usually after dinner. As a way to spend more quality time with whom you’re walking with and also to embrace the scenery and ultimately, just get some fresh air in your lungs. I suggest you do this, only if that means you go down the road and back. It will make you more alert after. My favourite place would be Blenheim Palace in Woodstock, it’s just a short journey away and everything about it is so beautiful!

Oh look at those flowers

Get a drink at The Cartoon Bar

A new addition to The Macdonald Randolf Hotel, it is divine.

Make sure you keep yourself hydrated, though. I know this sounds rather patronising, but so many students lose weight during their finals.

Go for a romantic meal at Pierre Victoire in Jericho

This is perfect for the cliche romantic meals in between deadlines and exams. So cosy and authentic to the French cuisine.

People watch or pretend to revise in a cafe

I always have issues when it comes to revising in my bedroom, and truth is I always found the library really cold to revise in even in the summer. Thanks to the automatic windows opening every 30 seconds…sigh.

Apart from all the chain cafes out there below I have listed some of my hotspots to revise, with coffee by my side.

• Waterstones Cafe (Central Oxford)
  • Jacobs & Field (Headington)
  • South Parks
  • Cafe CoCo

Have afternoon tea at The Grand Cafe

Right, we all know what a typical afternoon tea looks like, but in order to fully relax for a short moment, it is best to consider going to the amazing hotels in Oxford. From Randolf Hotel, Old Bank Hotel, Malmaison but my favourite is going to The Grand Cafe. It just oozes with luxury. You should also consider The Old Parsonage Hotel.

Go to The Randolf Hotel Spa and pamper yourself

They do the most amazing de-stress treatments and it’s also perfect to for those days when you truly need to treat yourself.

To conclude…

Enjoy yourself even while you revise and write your many essays. There is nothing wrong with treating yourself during this stressful phase. Don’t let yourself feel guilty. Sometimes we need to experience a bit of luxury every now and then. It worked for me, so trust me.

Yours Truly, 

The Luxury Student 

Follow me on:

Twitter @luxstudent

Instagram and Facebook @theluxurystudent