Things I wish people knew about Endometriosis

It affects one in ten women

Most people don’t know what it’s like to be told at 18 that you could be infertile, or that you might never have sex again. 

Endometriosis is a long term condition that causes the lining of the womb to grow into the stomach or other surrounding areas. It causes crippling stomach cramps, pain during sex, heavy bleeding- and in a lot of cases, infertility. Although you’ve probably never heard of it, it actually effects one in ten women. Unfortunately, I am one of those one in ten.

Around the time I turned 18, I started getting extreme stomach cramps, even when I wasn’t on my period. But as so many do, I thought this was just part of being a girl. In January, things began to get worse. I started not being able to have sex. Every time, it felt like I felt like I was being stabbed. This was difficult with a long term boyfriend. He was amazing about the whole thing, but I knew he was gutted. I remember sitting in the doctors waiting room before sixth form, terrified in case I had ovarian cancer, or a cyst.

After six weeks of doctors visits (being prodded and poked in places nobody should be), I was finally asked the question, “do you think this is all in your head?” It took everything not to throw something at her. “If it’s not in your head, there’s nothing else I can do for you.” Finally, I was referred to a gynaecologist. After explaining for the 900th time that I definitely didn’t have Chlamydia, she told me that there was a 99 per cent chance I had Endometriosis. She also told me that there was a 40 per cent chance or higher that I could be infertile. I was too embarrassed to tell anyone, even my mum.

An operation where they cut open your stomach is the only way to get a 100 per cent diagnosis; but for someone that’s not too keen on the idea of being sliced open, I chickened out a month down the waiting list. But even if you have the op, there’s no cure for Endometriosis, you just get told to take painkillers. Lasering the tissue around the womb can increase your chance of pregnancy, but there’s no guarantees. The operation isn’t performed often, and is usually performed by cancer surgeons, which is a terrifying thought altogether.

Luckily for me, one day my pain during sex just vanished. I could finally have a sex life. When I got to uni without having to say “I literally can’t do it.” It’s not really the introduction you want to give to your hot flatmate. The stomach pain still happens most days, and when I get periods they’re really irregular, heavy and painful. I hope one day I have the confidence to have the operation.

This is a call out to all women who have any kind of extreme stomach pain or any pain during sex. If you think it’s normal- it’s not. Always get checked. If they can’t diagnose you, ask about Endometriosis, it’s a real thing. Don’t let them tell you it’s all in your head, because it’s probably not.