How to productively procrastinate

It’s that time of year again

Procrastination doesn’t just have to be Netflix and chill.

There’s far more to procrastination than napping, endlessly watching Snapchat stories or catching up on your favourite TV show on Netflix.

Although great to do, as it requires minimal effort, it’s not the most productive way to spend your procrastination time, but here’s what you can do:

Read an article

13

Guess what? You’re already reading this article about procrastination, so that’s productive procrastination in itself. Perhaps you could go one step further and read journal articles which can be on a topic you’ve always wanted to discover more about. Read enough and you’ll pick up a writing style that can be applied in your diss – if you haven’t already written one.

Make a list

13006

Making a list can make you feel highly organised as it helps you plan out your day or week ahead. But, let’s be honest, are you really going to stick to everything on there? No. Unless , of course, you set the barrier low with one to-do, or write things that are easily achieved like ‘eat dinner’. Although you may not stick to it, at least you can visualise what you need to do post-productive-procrastination.

Learn a new language

1299865

Technology has enabled learning a new language to be highly accessible. The easiest and quickest way is to download an app – there’s loads! If, for whatever reason, you don’t have a phone with internet – perhaps it could be bathing in a bowl of rice after dropping it down the toilet last Wednesday at Fuzzys – don’t fret! There are a variety of free websites that basically do the same thing, or rent out a DVD or book from the library. But be prepared to encounter students that are actually working. This will result in you feeling guilt and anxiety that your assignment title is no longer enough. Again, don’t panic, you will get it done eventually, just, after your build-up of productive procrastination.

*Tip* Begin with Chinese Mandarin and Spanish as these are currently the top two spoken languages in the world – above English – and may be very useful in the future.

Learn to play an instrument

12994

A saxophone or harp would be pretty cool, but again, I doubt you or your flatmates have one lying around. And if you do, then great! You might have seen the video of a guy playing the saxophone while his friend drummed at Union Square underground? It sounded and looked incredible. If only this level of saxophone awesomeness could be acquired in one procrastination session. Guitars are a good place to start and there are tons of YouTube tutorials that you can watch to learn.

Get creative

Buy some cheap, yet nice looking materials from Ebay – we’re on a student budget here and it gets delivered straight to your house – and make a dress. If you surprise yourself and like it enough, perhaps you could even wear it to your summer ball. This doesn’t have to be a dress, you could try making a fancy dress costume or recreating your favourite character.

Now you’ve done some productive procrastination, hopefully you’ll maintain that productive feeling and you’ll finish all of your assignments right on time. After all, who doesn’t work best under pressure? It’s what motivates us.