Aldi is coming to Cowley

Cheap food – Need I say more?

Aldi, the much loved German supermarket is coming to Cowley.

Brilliant news for students looking for food even cheaper than Tesco. Cheaper food = more money for Fuzz.

It will be the company’s second store in Oxford after the supermarket in Botley Road opened in 2009.

Council bosses approved the plans in February this year after an application was made Dec 2015.

It will be built on the Horspath Driftway site which is also home to various other stores.

The store, which will see the conversion of a Currys store on the site just off the eastern bypass, will create up to 50 jobs. So if you haven’t found your student job yet, it’s an idea.

Cllr Kennedy was pleased the new store would offer residents more choice, saying: “It opens up another opportunity for people in the area as there will be a budget store within walking distance for a lot of them.”

An Aldi spokesperson said: “We are looking forward to opening our new Oxford store.

“Now that planning consent has been granted, we are finalising plans to start work and hope to be open as soon as possible, creating new jobs and making it easy for local residents to shop and save closer to home. We encourage local people to apply.”

Pat Kennedy, city councillor for Lye Valley, said: “Residents in my ward are excited about the idea of having a new Aldi on that site.

“There are, of course, concerns with traffic congestion there as it will be just off the A40 Eastern-Bypass with the store just off a very busy junction.”

Currently the only shops nearby are Tesco and Sainsbury’s so an Aldi will be a breath of fresh air.