What’s it like to be an American in Oxford

Our sense of humor is so different

Oxford is an epicenter for out of country visitors, whether it be to study in one of the greatest universities in the world or become absorbed in the rich cultural history.

I am originally from St. Paul, Minnesota, USA, and I decided to study at Oxford Brookes last summer when I was volunteering in Los Angeles. You would think my vast knowledge of British culture from movies like ‘Love Actually’ would prepare me coming to England, but I still had no idea what I was getting into.

Honestly, England has been a hard transition. I almost had a break down because I couldn’t find cilantro at Sainsbury’s, but I discovered it’s called coriander here. Whether it be dish soap to washing up liquid, trash can to bin, or flavor to flavour, I was a bit naive coming to England.

The food is harder to find but really good

I love food. I know I am biased because before coming to England, I lived in LA where great food is literally outside your door. Tijuana-style bacon wrapped hot dogs were on the street in front where I lived. Eating out in Oxford has been hit and miss for me, as for other Americans I have talked to.

Salt has seemed to disappear from cuisine and after meals there is something to be desired. Spice seems to be forbidden to enter pantries in homes. Yet, I’ve learned to appreciate the simplicity of flavours the food has to offer. The quality of food here is better such as chocolate; even a die hard Hershey’s lover has to admit.

Although I’ll leave it at this, I’ve fallen in love with Nando’s.

First Nando’s!

The U5 isn’t ideal

I am a little bitter that I had to sell my car before arriving to Oxford. I did everything in my car and now I’m left with the notorious U5 for transportation. I have yet to purchase a bike in fear of being driven off the road and sneaky endless roundabouts.

I miss stoplights and pedestrian right-of-way to cross streets. Jay walking is convenient, but it’s terrifying because unlike in America, cars will not slow down. Ever.

People tend to keep to themselves more here

This might be a no brainer, yeah of course British people are going to be different that Americans, but I didn’t think we would be that different. In America, we have both extremes, from really quiet to really loud and everything in between. In England, people are generally are more quiet and tend to keep to themselves, whereas in America we are attention seeking and most think their opinion is right (yes we do, even though I hate to admit it #Trump). Although, I’ve found British culture is generally a bit more negative too. It seems like no one ever has a bad day here, if they do you’ll either hear an earful.

Our sense of humor is so different

Humor is much different also. Subtlety is key and it’s the dry humor that make the British snicker. In America we prefer slap-stick comedy, most of us will laugh at injury, pranks or someone else’s embarrassment. Sad but true.

The rivalry between Brookes and Oxford is huge

Apparently there is a massive feud between Oxford University and Oxford Brookes. As an international, I can understand it a little bit with rivalries with major universities in America, but here it’s more about prestige. I think. I’m just happy I get to study in Oxford, and Oxford Brooke’s campus is pretty modern with the updated architecture, so no complaints here.

Sunrise before exams on an Oxford morning

Though living in Oxford has been scary and intense at times, It’s been one of the most rewarding experiences in my life. I love meeting other Americans and internationals and talking about how we ended up in Oxford. I love discovering new things that quickly become my favorites such as fish and chips, Dairy Milk and Oreos. Time in Oxford has flown by and I can’t wait for the years to come.