There is nothing better than all-girl friendship groups

Has he texted you back yet?

Throughout my school years and my time at uni, I have been way too lucky with my all-girl friendship group.

Having a close group of girls is the most important thing you could ever need. And here’s why:

The spontaneous events

If there’s an event you want to attend, having a big group means someone will be more than happy to accompany you. Fancy a spontaneous weekend away, exploring a different part of town or an unusual arts event? Your girls have got it covered.

Let’s face it, your parents probably don’t have the time and your boyfriend will not be impressed spending his Saturday afternoon traipsing round a shitty exhibition that really only you are interested in. Anything remotely out of the ordinary like quirky food markets, academic talks or a contemporary dance competition isn’t the slightest problem for an all-girl friendship group.

dance party in the rain? no problem

They’re your therapy whenever you need it

My group of ‘home friends’ are some of the only people in the world that I can guarantee will support, in some way, whatever anyone else in the group says or does. Our WhatsApp group chat is a portal to advice and therapy for a whole range of topics. Whatever time of day, there is always someone on the other end of the phone to comment on family issues, problems at work or to listen to the bane of everyone’s life that is university group projects.

Having an all-girl friendship group means emergency sleepovers are organised within 24 hours of breaking up with your boyfriend and long, thoughtful letters and care packages are posted to anyone having a stressful time. Everyone needs a girl gang to support each other in emotional, physical or financial emergencies, in a way that family or boys, simply cannot achieve.

Then there’s the minor day-to-day details that could only possibly be discussed with a girl group like why ‘cool cafe boy’ hasn’t replied even though he was online 17 minutes ago and we’d all proof read and double checked what to text. Or how many Tesco ready meals it’s acceptable to have in one week. Girl groups can offer spectacular advice on just about everything from what cat video to share next on Facebook, outfit options for meeting your new boyfs parents for the first time and worldly opinions on public affairs.

The ladies can become part of your team and genuinely help you out, and it’s nice when you’re at uni to just pick up your phone and you instantly have a slice of home. These are the girls that checked each others skirts for period stains at school and held your hair when you were puking your guts up, so being loyal when you’re away from home isn’t too much of a task. And when you are home, arriving at their house in a tracksuit with unwashed hair and plonking yourself down on their couch, giving their mum a hug and helping yourself to toast and jam is completely normal. It’s like having ten sisters which means ten wardrobes to sneak into and ten families to go to for advice, who wouldn’t want that?

Deflecting fuckboys on nights out is your profession

It’s a given, nights out with a group of women that sincerely care for each other and want to be around each other is the best thing you could ever ask for. Forget fuckboys in Wahoo or the typical Cheney wanker in Bridge asking why you’re here if you’re not wearing a Rolex. That won’t happen when you’re on a GNO. You’re armed with a full girl squad that know all the words and dance moves to every song they play in a club and can help you run away from unwanted attention. Plus, there’s always someone willing to go halfsies on a round of jagerbombs.

#squadgoals

Yes it might take us a whole afternoon to get ready and argue about where we are going and what we are wearing, and fitting everyone into a mirror selfie is strenuous. But knowing you will have someone to hold your dress up while you pee, subtly stalk someone’s Tinder match in the smoking area or have the choice of nine different make up bags, makes the nights out worth while.

Don’t get me wrong, guys are great and they offer a type of conversation that girls can’t, and a different, usually more rational perspective on things. But I can assure you, if you need a cry down the phone at 5 am or a Beyonce themed kitchen dance party after a long week, your girlfriends are the only one for the job.