Watches have been banned from all Brookes exams

You’ll be fined if you wear one

Students were notified this morning that as of March 2016, they will no longer be allowed to wear watches during university examinations.

Brookes Communications sent out an email saying that they will no longer be allowed, or you will be fined.

Following recent exposure in the media, students who wear smartwatches and other smart technology can potentially place themselves at an advantage, by using these devices to cheat.

Due to the recent publicity of this scandal, Brookes have updated their examination regulations to prevent this type of cheating and sent out the following updated exam regulations:

• No student will be permitted to wear a watch, fitness monitor or smart device while in an examination. You will be required to take these off.
  • Smart devices and fitness monitors must be switched off and can be placed in the valuables tub provided at the examination desk.
  • A clear plastic bag will be provided at each exam desk for non-smart watches. You may seal any non-smart watch in this bag and keep it face up on your desk to assist with your timekeeping.
  • Any student found wearing a watch, fitness monitor or smart device during an examination will be subject to disciplinary procedures and a fine.

Bye-bye wristwatch

They said: “We know that Oxford Brookes students work very hard to pass their examinations and that it is not fair if a student is able to cheat”.

They assume that if we own a smartwatch, we will use it to send out messages or look at notes, but does anyone here even have an Apple Watch?

Yes, the people who are foolish enough to take a smartwatch into an exam should be made to take it off, as it isn’t fair if they can access data that nobody else can.

But making everybody take off their watches isn’t fair. What about the people that can’t see the clock and don’t know how many minutes to spend on question 1? Bad luck for the students who are always seated at the back of the exam hall.

Imagine the stress of thinking you have an extra fifteen minutes but can’t quickly glance down and double check.

Examinations are already stressful enough. These new regulations could add an extra level of stress that just isn’t necessary.

How will students be able to show off their arm candy now?

The new regulations will take place from March 2016 onwards.