Brookes back staying in the EU

We don’t want the Brexit

Oxford Brookes announced on Monday they would be supporting the Universities for Europe Campaign. They want us to stay.

With the referendum date set (June 23rd) both sides of the debate are gearing up to get support, and now universities are getting involved.

Vice Chancellor Prof Alistair Fitt fully supports us staying in the EU, he said: “Being in the EU hugely enhances Oxford Brookes’ research, innovation and teaching. It helps us to create employable graduates and make cutting-edge research discoveries, while we benefit greatly from the talented staff and students we welcome to the University from the EU.

“Aside from the wider advantages to society, business and the country as a whole, the EU is vital to higher education. Being in the EU hugely enhances Oxford Brookes’ research, innovation and teaching.

“It helps us to create employable graduates and make cutting-edge research discoveries, while we benefit greatly from the talented staff and students we welcome to the University from the EU.”

Spending the EU money wisely

Staying in the EU is great news for students,five per cent of all higher education students are from EU countries, and at Brookes that figure is even higher.

It’s not just good for the students coming from abroad, but also good for us here in the UK.

In 2011-12 alone, EU students at UK universities spent £2.27bn and generated £19bn for the UK economy.

It’s also good for the quality of our lectures as being in the EU makes it easier for Oxford Brookes to attract talented staff from across Europe. They contribute significantly to university teaching, world class research and cultural and academic life – strengthening our society and economy in the process.  14 per cent of the teaching staff at Oxford Brookes are from EU member states.

Through the ERASMUS exchange programme, more than 300 of us have taken the opportunity to study abroad in the past five years along with nearly 100 members of staff.

Because of these reasons, Brookes will be supporting the stay campaign on June 23rd.