Brookes spends less than the average household on Christmas decorations

Scrooges

Last year Brookes spent a miserly £700 on Christmas trees, meaning it splashes less on festivities than the average household.

The uni spent a pitiful £0 on Christmas lights in 2012 and 2013, and it was only after the current light failed PAT testing that they splashed out £647.33 over all three campuses, also reassuring us those lights will last “several years”.

The average household spends £821 during the Christmas season, yet a Freedom of Information request revealed Brookes spent less than that on trees for Headington, Harcourt and Wheatley – just £681.95.

Bit pathetic

Before that, they spent even less by trying to source them off their own land – spending just £40 in 2012 on trees.

A spokesperson for Brookes said: “The University pays for a number of Christmas trees and decorations for the central buildings on the various campuses.

“Most offices within the campuses will have some decorations, some of which may be funded from departmental budgets, but most are brought in by individual members of staff.”

Apparently even the students are making more of an effort than the uni, especially after determined third-years lugged an eight-foot Christmas tree up Headington Hill.

My Christmas tree at home is bigger than that

English Language and Communication second year, Louise Carter, said: “Brookes’ decorations could be better. They’re a bit half-hearted, when you look at the student decorations in halls they have more festive decorations than some of the campuses.”

We’re giving them £9,000 a year – the least we deserve is a pretty tree to distract us from our upcoming deadlines.