Meet Brookes’ newest societies

Making a difference to making martinis, there is something for everyone

From political issues to making millions, we spoke exclusively with the newest societies to become part of Brookes on why they set up, their plans for the year and how you can get involved.

Amnesty International

What is Amnesty International all about?

“We’re all about trying to make a difference, even if it’s a small one. Human rights is an important global issue. We will be doing fundraising, campaigning and petition signing. We think it’s important to recognise issues at home, and away.”

What are your aims for the year?

“We’re not an official society but we hope to actually get the name of ‘Brookes Amnesty’ and be an active society on campus. Each week we will have different discussions under our two main campaigns: ‘My Body My Rights’ and ‘The Refugee Crisis’. We’re looking to listen to people and plan fundraisers.”

Why do people join?

“Everyone is welcome to join – our meetings are in JHB202 from 12-1pm every Monday. We want to make a difference but also to have fun. We have crazy socials in Cafe Baba and get special offers on drinks.”

Shona Nassimbwa, International Relations and Philosophy

@BrookesAmnesty

Mixology Society

Why did you start up?

“We began after some friends bought each other a cocktail making set for one of our birthdays last year. We all started making cocktails at pres. Some of us also had cocktail training because we worked in bars. We just thought it would be so cool to have a society where we could actually learn the different cocktails and have themed parties, drink and make friends.”

What are your socials like?

“We started over summer and soon had loads of people on board. Our first social was at Joe Perks, we had over 100 people attend which was really overwhelming. It’s fun to make and drink new cocktails with friends. We’re really pleased to now have such a selection of really fun and enthusiastic members.

“We will be hosting a Rum Masterclass at Lighthouse on the November 24 where everyone can make two different drinks. We’re also selling tickets to our Christmas Masterclass (December 1) at Varsity so everyone can come.”

Get in touch with them here.

The Business Management Society 

What do you do?

“We are the Business Management society, a society run by current students. We’re not just open to business students, just anyone with an interest in that sort of area. We’re trying to help students with the opportunity for skill development and career guidance. We want to allow members to create greater networking links with local business and entrepreneurs but also have fun and network or socialise with each other.”

What events will you hold?

“The society has a range of academic style events to messy socials. We will be holding a money themed game night (monopoly anyone?), movie nights and stock exchange parties. For members, there are also trips to business events, workshops, job fairs and guest speakers.”

They even smile at Wheatley

Contact Brookes Business Management here.

Investment Society 

Who are you?

“Our president is James Gibbs and our Vice President is Callum Blundell. We are all fourth years having come off placements and love a laugh. The investment Society is very light-hearted and we welcome plenty of banter. Our Treasurer is James-King-of-Bridge-Barlow and our Social Sec is probably one of the loosest lads at Brookes; Jack Thomson.”

Let’s talk money.

“We are a very new society but we have big plans. We need to gather momentum first with more members, then we’re having a stocks and shares competition with a prize for the winner. We’re four lads who are extremely driven to understand the financial markets, how different variables affect stock market movements in the markets.

“We have an interest in venture capitalist firms and also experience in working with them. We have a lad back Wall Street attitude. Work hard, party harder. We want to make millions.”

Want to join the boys in their quest for millions? Get in touch now.

Quilliam Society

Why did you start up at Brookes?

“Because of the increasing prevalence of extremist ideologies on campus and No Platform policies. Many speakers have been banned from speaking, we want to actively oppose this.”

What are your views?

“We believe the only way to challenge Islamism and other Far-Right ideologies is through debate. By doing this, we seek to promote the values of human rights, pluralism and liberalism.”

Do you have any events we can go to?

“We’re going to invite speakers to give their voice on pertinent issues such as radicalisation, freedom of speech. Drop us a message on Facebook if you want to get involved or come to our monthly socials.”

Nordic Society 

What do you guys get up to at socials?

“We host pub crawls, beer pong tournaments and we’re having a Christmas Party soon. We’re going to celebrate the Finnish Independence Day and St. Lucia’s Day coming up this semester.”

Tell me about starting up a new society.

“The Nordic Society was first created in 2013 but it fizzled out, we’re bringing it back with six new committee members. Our aim is to create fun socials and celebrate Nordic traditions as well being a point of contact or support for our students.”

Who can join?

“We started the society to bring together Brookes students from Finland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Iceland as well as students who just want to widen their social circle, because why not?”

If you want to join these smiley socialites contact  Bianca.

MASS

Who are you?

“We are not just a group of people who lift weights. Our aim is to help people become the best versions of themselves through the mental and physical benefit that lifting weights can bring. We want to aid people in developing characteristics that will help them succeed in every aspect of life. We’re going to change the stereotype that students are unhealthy and lazy and get swole and aesthetic as fuck.”

werk

What are the socials like?

“Do not expect us in Fuzzies every week, we’re a health and fitness society and do not encourage a drinking culture. We get wasted at the bar time to time but most of our socials will be along the lines of a cheeky Nando’s.”

Why should people join?

“We hold one general weekly session where we all train together. If you know what you’re doing and just want some like-minded people to motivate you then come socialise with us. If you’re a complete beginner and want our experienced committee members and coaches to show you the ropes, we can cater for everyone. We also offer competitive opportunities for those looking to push themselves through the MASS games.”

Bro, do you even lift?

If you’re up for learning how to lift properly or taking part in the student-only competitions then contact MASS here.