100 freshers left without accommodation as ‘unprecedented’ numbers apply for halls

It’s just not on

Over 100 Oxford Brookes freshers have been forced into conference rooms and private housing after a massive influx of students applying for halls. 

Some of the homeless freshers have temporarily been housed in conference halls, while others have been relocated thanks to the university setting up groups on social media.

Through these groups 50 students were helped into private sector housing, but a further 53 were forced to move into a conference room temporarily.

Oops

The university admitted they had an “unprecedented” number of first year students applying for halls of residence.

Spokesman for the university Matthew Butler said: “Oxford Brookes saw an unprecedented proportion of its first year students applying for its hall of residences this year.

“This is something which is very hard to predict for universities across the country and the proportion was simply higher this year.

“The university’s accommodation team work hard each year to support students in finding appropriate accommodation and we are not aware of any students who have been unable to secure a place for the academic year.”

Apparently ‘unprecented’ numbers are vying for accommodation this year

Despite the clear housing problem, Brookes went on to say they met their guarantee to provide accommodation for all students who had their halls down as their first choice.

Second year Ben said: “Something clearly went wrong and now many students’ first university experience has most likely been ruined by this housing issue.”

Another Oxford student commented: “It is unfair to take in students without having adequate accommodation for them, and then have to house them in a ‘conference building’.

“Why take on an excessive number of students who can’t be properly catered for? It seems rather like Brookes is over-eager for fees.”

The university has promised the students who have been put into temporary housing will move into permanent accommodation on September 26th.