Final year nurse wins top slimming award after losing a massive eight stone

He’s lost the equivalent weight of eight pugs

national noad

Brookes nursing student Uways Pervez has lost a massive eight stone in his bid to be a good role model to overweight patients.

The 21-year-old has swapped his old diet of endless chocolate bars and takeaway pizzas to a healthy menu with the help of Oxford’s slimming world group, and has won the title of Young Slimmer of the year in the process.

Not only has he shredded the equivalent weight of eight small pugs, but he has also landed his dream job working in an A and E department when he graduates this summer.

Slimmed down to a mere 12 stone

Uways hugely impressive weight loss was prompted by a controversial joke from a friend back in a lecture last year.

He said: “We were talking in a seminar about a particular condition that affects people who are underweight and my friend joked that I wouldn’t have to worry about ever getting it because I was really fat.

“I didn’t know how to respond and was really embarrassed.”

The finalist had always been bigger, but began to balloon after starting uni at Brookes in 2012.

He explained: “I lived off takeaways and felt I didn’t have time to exercise, so the weight soon piled on.

“I used to get tired all the time and had no energy at all. Nursing’s a very physical job and spending 14½ hours on my feet was absolutely exhausting, especially on top of studying.

“I felt really self-conscious about advising patients about their weight because I knew I wasn’t a healthy weight myself and thought they’d think I was a hypocrite.”

He has dropped a staggering 12 inches from his waist size and lost his food baby in only nine months  after eating healthily and attending Slimming world sessions in Oxford.

Now Uways, who lost a huge eight and a half pounds in his first week dieting, boasts: “My friends all say I have much more confidence and I don’t hide away in baggy clothes anymore.

“I have so much more energy at work too, moving patients is easier and I don’t feel self-conscious about raising the issue of weight with patients now either.

“It really has changed my life so much.”

Pre- life changing experience pic

Carolyn Pallister, Slimming World Public Health Manager, said: “Uways is setting an amazing example to his patients, but as well as that, his understanding of what it’s like to struggle with his weight enables him to raise the issue with patients in a kind, non-judgmental and empathetic way, which we know results in people feeling more open to making lifestyle changes – just like Uways has.”

Before his weightloss Uways was taking in thousands of extra calories every day, causing him to pile on the pounds.

With every day as cheat day, he began with a huge breakfast of pancakes or croissaints, and a large tea with three sugars. For lunch he chomped down on pre-packed sandwiches, crisps, chocolate and full-fat coke, before tucking into a whole takeaway pizza for dinner.

On top of it all Uways snacked constantly on chocolates, biscuits and cakes.

Now he’s switched to diet coke, eats healthy salads and fresh fruit, but still has time to fit in a chocolate milk at lunch in his quest for his summer beach bod.