Best graduation shoes (to avoid complete humiliation)

Do NOT fall over

When it comes to graduation, the fear of making a fool out of yourself is bigger than the fear of the big wide world you’re going into.

You can’t do anything about your 2:2 or your lost dignity, but you can prevent complete humiliation and a busted nose by preparing the correct pair of shoes.

Don’t end up like this gal at Trent.

The stiletto heel

A classic staple to most females’ wardrobes, the stiletto may be thrown on without the consideration of potential stumbles and trips. The small surface area to stand on in comparison to other heels greatly reduces your stability – something that is essential for a day of solid alcohol consumption.

The chunky heel

A good choice for avoiding the awkward heel sinking in grass that is problematic with a stiletto and the large surface area on the sole of the shoe makes a solid foundation, increasing comfort and stability. The chunky heel is on trend this summer and provides a classy solution to sinking/falling/unbearable pain qualms.

The platform heel

Easily the worst shoes to wear. The platform is probably the hardest to walk in and the most uncomfortable to wear when standing around and reminiscing about being a fresher and having no important life decisions to make.  Avoid at all costs if you want preserve your last bit of grace and decency.

The wedge heel

A wedge heel can be a good alternative to the chunky heel, but runs the risk of being slightly too causal for a graduation ceremony. The thick heel makes balancing easy so the walk to accept your certificate will seem like the walk to Posh Nosh after a night out – emotional yet purposeful.

So all in all your safest bet to avoid falling flat on your face in front of hundreds of people is probably the chunky heel or the wedge heel – stable, comfortable and stylish. Happy graduation.