‘Some people call me the white Floyd’: Meet this year’s Fight Night contestants

It’s all kicking off

With every year at Brookes comes exciting new experiences and challenges to face – this year, those memorable experiences will be marked with witnessing some of the greatest fights in history.

Gentlemen’s Fight Night returns this year on the 19th March. In anticipation of the hotly anticipated and life-changing event we interviewed the big names involved and tried to get inside the heads of these brave young souls.

These are their stories.

Training regimes ranged from weekly boxing and regular running sessions to “squats and cock pushups.”

When asked about his training regime, Business and Management second year Chris Gossett told the Tab: “It’s beer, beer, shot, sick, beer and weekly bare knuckle boxing in Bridge, Warehouse and Wahoo.”

We’ve all been there… right?

The stage is set

Most fighters were no strangers to lifting serious weight in the gym. From “3/4 crates of Vintage Dom” to “benching my fit housemate” you can rest assured these Brookes boys don’t fuck about.

Such was Patrick Tang’s confidence, when asked about his training regime he simply replied: “don’t have one.”

Proper attire proved to be a strong talking point amongst all the fighters, with the majority owning several, if not more wife beaters to “fit in at Lava on a Saturday night.”

It’s important to have inspirations in life and when asked what boxer these lads drew the closest similarities with we received a variety of odd comparisons.

Hospitality and Management third year Chris de Vertueil said: “Some people call me the white Floyd.”

When asked how they got involved in the competition many were signed up on their behalf by mates. Geography and Business Management fresher “Sandy Snowball” said:

“I was invited to do it. After not much thought and against my parents recommendation I’m now doing it.”

History second year Andrei Czolak is one to watch. He claims to own wife beaters in “several colours” and also confessed to having bitten people “several times”. His spirit animal must be Mike Tyson.

Reflecting on the iconic match between Ali and Frasier, fighter and second year Archie Grimes said: “Fraser is too big and slow, I’m light on my feet.

“And quick like Ali, I’m so quick, girls don’t even know we have had sex.”

Poor guy. But a ringing endorsement if we ever heard one.

Gentleman’s Fight Night is happening on 19th March at the Oxford Town Hall. For more information about tickets and details click here.