Brookes second year helped by local MP when Student Loans fail to pay her on time

Student Loans have offered Isobel a meagre £30 compensation for her ordeal

Isobel Thompson (far left)

Isobel Thompson (far left)

Brookes student Isobel Thompson was forced to turn to local MP Andrew Smith for help when the £1,600 loan she was owed by Student Loans Company failed to reach her bank – following a MONTH of delays.

Music and History second year Isabel says her loan “should have arrived on the 22nd of September”, however she didn’t receive it until October 23rd.

Despite being in constant communication with the SLC staff, she felt that they showed no “empathy” towards her situation.

Isobel says: “I ended up talking to several different people who all gave me numerous stories as to why the money was not going through”.

“I was told the reason behind the delay was due to the details of my SLC account not being linked to my bank account. I don’t understand how this took four weeks to work out”.

When asked how MP Andrew Smith became involved the second year says: “I was advised to contact an MP if I wanted my complaints to be taken seriously”.

Isobel has since been offered just £30 in compensation, but feels upset over the ordeal.

The distraught student says: “I felt like they weren’t taking me seriously because I was a university student”.

“I’ve still had no personal apology from the SCL and am still in talks with them”.

In terms of advice for any students who may also be in a similar situation, Isobel emphasised persistence as the key to getting your voice heard.

“Don’t be afraid to get other people: politicians or press involved as they can help to make your complaint heard”.