This is how much you’re paying per hour for your degree

Oxford no books – literally

At 9 grand a year, a degree is pretty expensive these days.

With an average of 8.8 hours of contact time a week this means the average Brookes student is paying £42.68 for contact time.

That’s the time spent in lectures and tutorials, not including the time spent reading and working – yep, you’re actually supposed to do that.

Using one of my 52 spare hours of the working week, I have taken the time to work out how much the average student pays for these courses per hour:

• Music –£93.77

• History – £93.75

• Anthropology – £62.50

• Fine Art – £62.50

• English lit – £62.50

• Philosophy – £62

• Hospitality – £53.57

• English Language – £46.88

• History of Art –£46.87

• International business- £41.67

• French- £37.50

• Law- £31.25

• Maths – £31.25

• Medical science – £31.25

• Architecture –£19.74

Perhaps you think this is reasonable and a three-hour history lecture is worth that £281.25.

But if you look across to our dear older sibling, Oxford University, a third year History student has double the amount of contact time, at a University with arguably some of the best resources and lecturers in the world and is paying the same price.

Something seems a little off.

I’d still rather be a poly

We spoke to various students across the University to find out if students thought they were getting their money’s worth.

Third year History of Art student Mollie Nock says: “In spite of paying £9000 a year we are still expected to pay for our travel to London and various other places for lectures, and then gallery entry on top of that.

“It make you wonder where our money is going”.

When asked how many hours a week they spent in contact with the university, third year Philosophy student George Bacon replied: “I have six contact hours a week. It’s a bit outrageous really.”

Even with double a Philosopher’s contact hours a disgruntled third year Maths student complained: “We have shit facilities, have to pay for sport, pay for printing. It’s an outrage!”

Another third year Fine Art student moaned: “On top of the tuition fees, I spend on average £20 a fortnight on art materials because nothing is provided.

“We also have to raise a huge amount of money for our degree show on top of this which some people assumed may be subsidized as we are the first year on the higher fees”.

Help me I’m poor

Some students of course get a far more satisfactory deal than others. Architecture students are provided with materials, regular workshops and (this was the main issue students on other courses seem to have) get free printing.

Nurses have their degree paid for by the NHS and receive over triple the contact hours of the average Brookes degree.

Unlimited journeys to Wheatley? That’s worth £6000 any day!

However, it’s not all doom and gloom. As a gesture of good will, since Brookes raised the fees to £9000, all students on the higher fees get a free Brookes key! I call that £6000 well spent.