Boat club scoop Spotify prize

OBUBC playlist gets nearly 6,000 followers netting society £10,000 prize

Oxford Brookes University Boat Club have come out on top in a national Spotify competition, winning a WHOPPING £10k to spend on their society.

The competition asked societies, sports teams and clubs to “curate an amazing 30-track society playlist and gain the most followers by the 1st of May”.

OBUBC’s winning effort was one of 330 entries nationwide, and contained big club night hits as Bondax’s Baby I Got That and Voices by Disclosure.

They were pushed all the way by Cardiff University Rowing Club, who preferred to stack their playlist with cheese classics Bon Jovi’s Livin’ On A Prayer and Survivor’s Eye of the Tiger.

May Day celebrations were key in helping OBUBC gain a vital last push in followers, as the team offered sweets and shots to people in Wahoo and Junction in exchange for a follow.

Sweets for a follow: the team hit upon a succesful campaigning strategy

Don’t want a sweet? How about a shot?

As a result, the team were able to get 1500 followers in just one day.

OBUBC and volunteers after a busy day of campaigning

The prize money will be used to buy a new eight man Empacher rowing boat that the club hope will lead them to success in future rowing regattas.

Societies who missed out on the big prize shouldn’t be too disheartened, with Spotify planning big events on campuses across the country this term.

Students are encouraged to follow their universities’ offical profile on both Facebook and Spotify to discover and share new music, as well as to find out how they can host exclusive Spotify-supported pre-drinks and house parties.