Brookes Radio and Hockey take top prizes

The best of Brookes has been celebrating over the last few days

Friday night witnessed Brookes’ sports teams battle it out for the top spot and on Monday it was the turn of the societies.

In what is said by some to be the Brookes equivalent of the Oscars, Brookes Radio beat off stiff competition from Brookes Dance and EDMS to scoop the top spot for Best Society at the event. Station Manager Maria Passingham said “We’re absolutely thrilled to win the Best Overall Society Award. Considering our very humble beginnings just over two years ago we’ve come a long way and clearly the judging panel recognised that! It was tough competition, I think it was really the variety of our activities that swung it in the end.” She also told us to keep our eyes out for information about their charity broadcast at the end of the month.

Brookes Radio showing off their award

The up-and-coming society Non-League Football was awarded the Best New Society spot.  Society president Joe Parton told The Tab “We are all absolutely honoured and delighted to have received this award. For something that started as a wishful dream on a platform at Bath Rail Station to be recognised by such an award is just incredible. I’d also like to thank the SU for all their hard work.”

Clubber Steve was spotted in Bridge soon after this picture was taken

The final award for societies was the Best Society Event and this was taken home by the Road Trip Society for their trip to Paris in January. When The Tab spoke to Sarah Brice she said “Road Trip Society is all about great student travelling experiences and Paris was an incredible trip with loads of good memories, so we were really happy to win the award!”

Road Trip Society were delighted to have won

Awards were also handed out for best departmental rep and for the some of the safety bus volunteers. Brookes’ former Vice-President for Student Experience Paul McCormack was given the Captain Phillips Award.

The evening was given some extra excitement by a fight which broke out amongst two members of the Assassin’s Society. It is not known whether either of them had taken their society name a little too literally.

The Sports Awards also took place on Friday night, with the Hockey Club taking away the coveted Club of the Year Award.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU0pPYc7tsM[/youtube]

David Trim, Hockey Club President and recipient of the Special Recognition Award, said “It’s a fantastic end to a fantastic season, everyone in the club deserves this award equally.”

David Trim shows off his trophy for the camera

The Tab would like to say a big congratulations to all of Friday’s and Monday’s winners.

For all things Brookes, like us on Facebook.