Pancake toppings 101

From lemon and sugar to melted creme eggs. We’ve tried it all.

It’s pancake day, the best holiday after Christmas. Looking for any excuse to eat as many as possible The Tab decided to trial a few different variations so you don’t have to waste time this evening. So selfless of us.

In case Mummy forgot to equip you with a sieve and scales before you left home (or you can’t be bothered to Google a recipe) mix together one mug of plain flour, one mug of milk and a large egg.

Lemon & sugar

Boring we hear you say but it’s a fail safe favourite.

Nutella, whipped cream and banana

The opposite of the plain old above. The pinnacle of pancake fillings. It just doesn’t get any better than this. If you’re feeling especially lazy, like we were, you can use that squirty cream your parents never let you buy.

Pineapple in vodka and brown sugar

Sounds a lot more impressive than it actually is. Dice up some pineapple, drizzle or douse with vodka and top with brown sugar before grilling. Borderline healthy because of all that fruit and everyone knows vodka’s actually one of your five a day. It’s made from potatoes after all.

So much excitement or just a lot of vodka

Melted creme egg

If the thought of it doesn’t make you feel sick, eating it will. Melt above a saucepan of simmering water, beat in some milk, slather on the pancakes and watch your cholesterol sky-rocket in record winning time. It’s so bad, it’s good.

After your pancake extravaganza we advise lying down in a dark room and breathing deeply to combat any nausea. The temptation to finish any left over Nutella straight from the tub will result in a spectacular sugar high. Good luck. 

Like us on Facebook to get more from The Tab or get involved and email [email protected]