Brookes University Challenge team make history

Clubber Steve is coming to a TV screen near you.

For only the second time in Brookes history the team has made the coveted second round of University Challenge –and yes, that’s the televised bit.

The team, including legendary Clubber Steve, Paula Kenneally,  Simon Joyce, captain Dave Ballard and reserve Matt Boxell, had to get through two intense question rounds to guarantee their place.

Each round was made up of 40 questions with only seven seconds to answer each.

Brookes dream team?

After fifteen minutes and a successful first test the Brookes team were through to the next section. The team were also quizzed by Granada who asked why they wanted to be on the show and to explain a little about themselves and their chosen subjects.

Speaking exclusively to The Tab, Clubber Steve said: “I chose History because I’m interested in warfare and battle strategies and University Challenge is some kind of battle. Also, University Challenge is the pinnacle of quizzing.”

We’re not sure if he had a chance to bring up his clubbing prowess but we think Paxman would be impressed.

The group’s quiet confidence paid off and it was confirmed earlier this week that they had passed and were amongst the best 28 teams in the country.

Brookes have their first match later this month and even if they don’t win their first round, they can still make it through as the lucky loser. Tune in to show your support (even if you have no idea what the answer is.)

Want more? You can now like The Tab on Facebook.