6 alternative ways to be healthy

Over indulged in one too many mince pies? The Tab’s on hand to help you rediscover your abs.

So Week One is over, Refreshers is gone, New Year is history and Christmas is but a distant memory. However these times of celebration, excess and festivity has left you with a bit of a belly. The Oxford Brookes Gym is over-subscribed, full of posers and rather sweaty. Thankfully The Tab has compiled a list of other ways to get back in shape.

1. Juicing

Let’s get juicing!

After researching the term ‘juicing’ on The Urban Dictionary I would like to make it clear that this suggestion is far more innocent than it may first appear. Furthermore I am not recommending the purchase and consumption of steroids, rather the purchase and consumption of fruit and veg.

Juice Jenius!

Juicers are available for around £30 at many retail outlets, and replacing two meals a day with a homemade juice is a great way of improving your diet, getting your 5-a-day and not becoming Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead.

2. Brooke5ide

Brooke5ide never dissappoints

Oxford Brookes Football Club’s weekly Saturday night soccer sensation is quickly becoming an institution at The University. Over 50 teams compete in 7 leagues that run throughout each semester.

This is a fun way to get some exercise with your mates without having to queue outside a gym door for over an hour.

3. Yoga

No comment necessary

With Yoga classes and centres available at Brookes and in Cowley and Headington, this is an easy way to feel the burn. Yoga is now used by professional footballers, basketball players and athletes, as well as Mums, because it improves muscle strength and tone quickly and relaxes many that do it.

4. British Military Fitness

The Paula Radcliffe School of Squatting

For those of you who find Yoga too tame or jogging too mundane, how about running round a muddy park in the dark, wet and cold while being screamed at by big scary men? It’s a turn on for some.

British Military Fitness take sessions in South Park 4 days a week and welcome people of all abilities.

5. Outdoor Swimming

Softies

Recent weather conditions have made Oxford the world centre of outdoor swimming. You can take in the culture and history of central Oxford while taking a leisurely dip in warm, clean and in no-way polluted waters.

Remember to watch out for the odd barge and rogue rowing teams taking up the fast lane.

6. Sex

I have been informed that sex is a good form of exercise. Many Brookes students are known to engage in this intense cardiovascular activity for literally minutes!

I am no expert in this field but if anyone is willing to be my research partner then please feel free to get in touch.

You can now like The Tab on Facebook for even more content or if you want to get involved email [email protected] and say hi.