Clubber Steve Tries: Ballet

The Tab sent Clubber Steve off in a quest to become the next Darcy Bussell.

When I heard what the next challenge for me was, I have to admit I was feeling rather apprehensive about it.

This was due to the fact that this challenge was for me to go to a ballet class for about an hour to learn the art of ballet. Well you might think that considering I go out a lot, my dance ability is really good but I can let you know that my dance ability is basically zero hence I was really worried about learning ballet for the first time.

When I got to the lesson, we started off with a warm-up which involved several basic stretches in order to make sure that our legs were feeling flexible with regards to all of the plies, jetes and pirouettes that I was about to embark on or at least attempt.

The warm-up music was class as it made me feel like I was actually in a club but in reality I realised I was about to embrace the challenge of ballet. Was I excited, probably, was I nervous, definitely.

After the warm up we moved onto the core elements of the routine and considering the fact that everybody else knew what they were doing as I was the only first timer there, learning this routine was definitely a challenge.

The routine involved lots of pirouettes coordinated perfectly to the music so a big thank you must go to Jess with regards to the choreography of the routine which was brilliant.

Also, a key element in ballet is to be flexible and that is the one thing I’m not but at least I can say, I tried my best with the routine but it generally was really, really hard.

As well as Jess, I have to also give a big thank you to the Oxford Brookes Dance Society for letting me learn this routine with them as I had so much fun doing it.

This routine that the Oxford Brookes Dance Society taught me was the routine they performed in a show in March of this year. Obviously, I wasn’t participating as I can safely say that dance is a lot harder than football, especially the art of ballet.

For more Clubber Steve content like us on Facebook.