Stroke of Luck Hit Gold

Student band Stroke Of Luck live up to expectations.

SoL

With more hooks than a Peter Pan convention and songs tighter than The Student Union’s alcohol budget, a blinding set from Brookes band, Stroke of Luck, saw them outshine the headliners under the lights of The O2 Academy.

Supporting Amber Run, the 3rd year students took to the stage in front of an excited crowd. The second band on stage, all expectations were exceeded by the confident group.

Made up of Steve Knight, Ed Rixon, Adam Frost, James Sparkes and Sandy Kenny, they seemed confident in their own ability, and rightly so.

After a quick sound-check the lads delved into a brief opening number, loud, tight and interesting, the short track set the tone for the rest of the set.

Playing through all the songs on their new self-titled EP, cool licks were carefully thrown in on drums and bass to keep things fresh and display the real talent of the musicians. It was a shame that they didn’t pause for long enough between their early songs, if they had done they’d have realised how much the crowd were really enjoying their work.

The real highlight of the set came when the band played Don’t Shout, by far the best of their marvellous repertoire.

The Brookes Tab spoke to Stroke of Luck singer and guitarist, Steve Knight, shortly after the gig.

How do you think the show went?    

“It was brilliant, a great reception from the crowd but Amber Run have accidently taken our bass which isn’t great!”

What’s your plan for the future?

“Making as much music and playing as many gigs as possible. We want to increase our fan-base and develop a larger set.”

Have you got any more gigs lined up?

“We play The Cape of Good Hope for Cape Fest this Friday (29th November) but the real big one is supporting Electric Six at The O2 Academy on December 13th.”

To buy tickets to see the Brookes Boys support the genital illuminating group click here.

And to listen to Stroke of Luck’s debut EP click here or like them on Facebook.

And to keep up to date with all the goings-on at Brookes click here.